Sinister: Doncaster, Helsinki, Tulse Hill

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Tue Aug 18 14:27:16 BST 1998

It wasn't The song about Favourite Things from the Sound of Music that
you meant by Mary Poppins, was it? Or am I just forgetting something
startlingly obvious from one of my fave films (honestly!)?

And about Carter USM - pretty much all their songs were list songs by
nature. They had so many bloody words they couldn't really avoid it from
time to time. What about Shoppers Paradise, and Sheriff Fatman "with his
valium, amphetamines, his sick notes and his phony prescriptions" etc.?

Talking of Carter - I may have admitted in the past to a love for early
nineties fraggle pop. I'm not proud of this. But somehow not ashamed
either. For a good two years during the most impressionable time of my
life, my musical taste was governed by a longing for the first EP by
Senseless Things and an uncontrollable need to own all the
pre-Tranzophobia Mega City Four singles. And I've got them all, as well,
and they do make me feel all affectionate when I come across them while
looking for that fashionable late 90s scot-pop 7" that you young people
are always talking about these days (I even discovered I had a BMX
Bandits record in my collection I never even knew about! It's the vinyl
equivalent of finding something down the back of the sofa, albeit
slightly less exciting than 20p and a fruit polo).

Anyway, now that I've got that cathartic but probably extremely unwise
confession out of the way, can I just say to J. On that I thought Honey
himself wanted your extra ticket? Or did I misread it (I can't check my
old email, so I'm having to wing it)? I want to see if he really looks
like his photo on the sinister site...

I have in front of me a promo CD for Pat Sharp (Let's all Chant indeed!)
and his entertainment company. Looking at the credits, he appears to
have done a lot of work in Finland. I'm sure U.103 Radio Helsinki and
Radio Nova Helsinki (who, I've heard, keep playing "Chick Factor" on
heavy rotation - cheers Pat) are delighted at their media coup.

Which reminds me - does anyone know anything about Doncaster Rovers'
"astonishing" new signing?

Kisses,
Mark xxxxxx