Sinister: The STEREOACTION Orchestra

Rod Begbie rod at xxx.com
Tue Aug 18 22:27:05 BST 1998

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Simpson, Claire E wrote:

> John Ketley is a weatherman - dunno who sang it (and so is Michael Fish)

"A Tribe of Toffs".  I bought it.

Anyway...  So I was raking through my mum's old record collection, looking
for stuff[1] to record onto MiniDisc[2], and came across a disc entitled
"HITS OF THE BEATLES" performed by "The StereoAction Orchestra".  Being a
bit of a Beatles fan, I had a wee listen, and was astounded at how
completely dreadful the orchestration was.

So of course, I have to share it with all of you.

I've RealAudiofied their version of Norwegian Wood and dumped it at
http://www.begbie.com/junk/norwood.ra (399kb, 2:38, 28.8k stereo) Please,
have a listen.  It is quite incredibly awful, and I can't recommend it
highly enough!

And as you listen, enjoy these sleeve notes:

         THE SOUND YOUR EYES CAN FOLLOW . . .

         THE STEREOACTION ORCHESTRA was especially created by Cyril Ornadel
         to bring a new dimension to stereophonic recordings.

         In the 70's it is no longer enough for the stereo enthusiast to
         hear his music played in the conventional stereo form, the music
         must move.  THE STEREOACTION ORCHESTRA has been arranged and
         recorded by Cyril Ornadel so that the music moves constantly.
         Together with producer Geoffrey Heath they have treated the
         results with the latest "moving screen process" used for the first
         time on this series of records.

         What can one say about the Beatles . . . The most prolific
         songwriters of this decade.  From their phenomenal output THE
         STEREOACTION ORCHESTRA has taken what have now become Beatle
         classics: "Yesterday", "Michelle" and "Hard Day's Night" to name
         but a few.  Beatle fans, stereo addicts, lovers of the best in
         contemporary music will love this album.

Enjoy!

NEWSFLASH: Due to "popular demand", there are now also recordings of
Strawberry Fields Forever (straw.ra), Eleanor Rigby (erigby.ra) and All My
Loving (loving.ra).  They are just as bad.

Rod.

[1] Cheesy easy-listening stuff especially [3]
[2] My new toy - By crikey, it kicks ass!
[3] Ron Goodwin is a god.

PS. What did the slug say to the snail?     "Big Issue?"

                                    Rod Begbie @ http://www.begbie.com |