Sinister: ROCK Biographies (say it loud - say it proud)

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 19 09:47:33 BST 1998

If Debbie's into the Patti Smith book then she might be interested in
Clinton Heylin's "The Velvets to the Voidoids" which not only charts that,
but the Velvet Underground, the Stooges, the MC5, The New York Dolls,
Television, the Dead Boys, Pere Ubu and Blondie amongst others. All the 70's
New York bands. And it's a great book. Matthew Collins' Altered State is
great too, it's about from the beginnings of Acid House in 1987 to the kind
of crusty warfare stuff that went on around Spiral Tribe in 1992, it's
really good, and even made me feel a bit sorry for crusties - at least for a
few minutes. John Robb's book on the Stone Roses I read recently and if not
brilliantly written, makes up for it with enthusiasm, and also reveals that
Reni's favourite song is "Jump" by Van Halen, and that the Roses used to
cover "Love Missile F1-11" by Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Johnny Rogan's giant book
on the Byrds is really good too, mainly for David "Greavsie" Crosby's
brilliant comments. It's not a brilliant book, but it is good, and it's
huge, and as we've all been told recently "Size does matter" so I guess that
makes it a great book.

>the alcohol loves you, while turning you blue,

Hey that's Party Fears Two isn't it - someone told me recently about how
"William it was really nothing" by the Smiths is about Billy Mackenzie. It's
a crazy rumour I suppose, but it might just be true.

Cheers,
    Keith.