Sinister: "What is the use of a book", thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Tue Aug 18 19:05:57 BST 1998

debbie wrote:

> Also, can anyone recommend any good music biogs? I'm hooked on them at the
> moment for some reason and am currently reading one on the wonderful Patti
> Smith but am nearly finished and would like to know what else is good.
> Thanks!

best single band biog is the Malanga/Bockris Up-Tight; The Velvet
Underground, which is mighty. other fave music books are as follows:
Lester Bangs; Psychotic Reactions & Carburettor Dung. Nik Cohn;
Awapbopaloobop Awapbamboom. Kevin Pearce; Something Beginning With O.
Peter Guralnick; Lost Highway. David Toop; Oceans of Sound and Clinton
Heylin's From The Velvets To The Voidoids. All are brilliant in their
own ways. there are others that are great, but i can;t be bothered
boring you with long lists,although maybe someone could make a song out
of it.

> I wonder who'll be the first to write a B&S biography... most bands
> nowadays seem to have a crappy 40 page book out after their first album,
> but then they seem to have far more press photographs to fill out the gaps
> where the author can't think of anything to write...

well there's a hefty chunk in my upcoming book (plug plug - but no pics,
sorry) 'Young And Foolish' about the band, and i've been haranguing the
broadsheets with a recent article/review of the new record, but you can
bet no-one will publish it, instead probably going for a belated and
inaccurate effort from someone well known. such is life.

keep the faith,

the duke

--

'all of our dreams are dying of overdoses'

Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
http://website.lineone.net/~tangent/index.html
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net