Sinister: Kiss my Grits?

Chris Leonard cleonard at xxx.COM
Wed Aug 19 15:49:17 BST 1998

Dear friends,

My journeys have made me weary.  Singapore was not the paradise style
skive I thought it would be.  Would you call 14 hour working days fun?
Nor I.  It was rubbish.  The one day I had to myself it rained so
heavily it was coming up as well as down.  Sweaty.

One of the company directors pulled me to one side on arrival. "I'll
bring in some bedtime reading for you tomorrow", he said with a wicked
glint in his eye.  The next day "Can I have a word with you in my office
Christopher."  I went in and he presented me with a book.  "No money, no
honey.  A guide to prostitution in Singapore".  My god.  He had circled
paragraphs and street names, annotated them "Highly recommended, B+" and
that.  It was actually a very funny and well written book, <cough> yes ?
 But anyway a couple of days later at lunch "I want my book back".  And
so we got to talking, he told me there was a lot of fun to be had in
this city.  He then inquired if I was busy at the weekend, and If I was
single.  Oh dear.  I answered, "Yes.  No." a bit to smartly, and made
myself rather unpopular I fear.  Not to worry though, my efforts have
not gone unnoticed I'm told.  I hope that's a good thing.

I gave myself two missions in Singapore:

1.  Find a copy of Angel Sigh, the Japanese version of that Sinister
album.

2.  Buy a hat.

I failed miserably on both counts, don't you know.  You see Singapore is
not Japan, I just assumed in my small mindedness that they'd be getting
the same sort of records, sort of like a wanker.  I did buy a cd of some
local lady with a free book of candid photographs.  The photographs are
about one hundred times better than the cd.  But that's ok.  The Corrs
are number one in Singapore.  That says a lot I think, I'm just not sure
what.  And Singaporeans don't wear hats.

It was nice to return home to find a pile of things I had bought, like
that looper single and a cardiacs t-shirt.  You see, i've always wanted
my very own cardiacs t-shirt for some reason.  My hands shook with
excitement as I pulled it on.  Lovely, a little man and a house and the
whole world window on me.  But almost like a sign from the devil, a
moment after I put it on, my nose bled all over it.  Nyah, I'm not to
keen on blood you know but nose bleeds are great because they look
really impressive and don't hurt.

So anyway I haven't really caught up with what's been happening in our
sinister little world.  Will someone recap for me, for I'm too weary to
read.

That's me then, and wa ki so kata lingaaa
     mr chris

PS.  The competition is really building up now.  I've had over 2000
entries, and it looks like it's going to be a tight battle.  But you
still have time to enter if you haven't.  (Deadline, the 31st August)