Sinister: Elliot Smith

Scott Turner Scott_Turner at xxx.COM
Wed Aug 19 20:55:15 BST 1998

<<oh, and on the elliot smith subject:  my friend cary saw him open for ben
folds five and he said that all of his songs sound the same.  now,
remember,
this isn't my opinion, just that of a close friend.  I'm just relaying it
those who previously inquired about the subject.>>

i think Elliots has (unwillingly) become the mopey "hip cuz we're sad"
indiekid's superhero after he did the oscars or grammys (i always get them
confused). I mean hearing one song of his off of "either/or" is cool or
using him as intermittent background music for a movie is cool, but
listening to the whole album straight through I find to be really really
boring. In that respect he's like Low and other half-ass mope bands that
just don't have a diverse enough pallete to paint a sad painting that you
want to look at for more than a couple of minutes.

Melancholy stuff like Red House Painters, Tindersticks, American Music
Club, Eric Mathews,lullabye for the working class, and of course Belle &
Sebastian is so damn good because its pallette is so mature, nuanced and
diverse.

Who knows, maybe his new album will have some more texture.

.scott