Sinister: Re: Uncut

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Wed Aug 19 22:37:58 BST 1998

Hi Non Dextrous Ones,

The Duke wrote

"it's just so funny to be seeing a magazine writing about 'the new country'
at this point in time... the article is mainly bollocks, but it's going to
be kind of interesting for newcomers, or even to old sods.... The cover CD
is good though, and makes me want to hear more of quite a few of the newer
groups."

I agree that the cover CD repays the outlay for the mag, but not for the
newer bands, who unfortunately ('cos I wanted to like some of them) sound
pretty dreary to me. The track that does it for me is the closer, a live
version from the soon to be released "Spyboy" album, a version of "Boulder
to Birmingham" by Emmylou Harris. The other day whilst listening in the car
it made all  the hair on my body stand on end and my eyes moist at the same
time. (BTW I always thought the verse should finish And feel the city air
Run past your body *hair*) Listen to this (Emmylou, not IYFS, silly) and
then go and buy one of her first 2 solo albums, or even better still, fork
out for one of the Gram Parsons albums she accompanied him on. Most record
stores seem to knock out the combined GP/Grievous Angel CD for £9.99, which
is a ridiculously good currency v. blow you away emotional power exchange.

BTW, HoneyPaul, why will that look like 100 times Australian dollars or
something? Also Hun, thanks for tidying up our digests. It was a dirty
hack, but someone had to do it. Especially as for a compuserve member, it
reduces their size and (mostly) stops them becoming attached .txt files.

I also recommend seeing John Otway live. I once saw the Bard of Princes
Risborough play with Wild Willie Barrett when he dived onto Willie's steel
guitar (which was on wheels) and went over the edge of the stage on it onto
his head. Got up and carried on singing.

I just read another digest, and have to concur with Tim Hopkins about The
Burritos'Sin City and peeing from a great height (perhaps the 31st Floor?)
Every time I listen to this song it makes me sing out loud. And I can't
sing.

Senior Citizens for Belle & Sebastian,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK