Sinister: For Those About To Rock Biography

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Aug 20 11:09:23 BST 1998

Here are a couple of rock biographies to avoid:

Morrissey: Landscapes of the Mind
Neil Young: A Dreamer of Pictures

Note the similar titles. It's probably best to avoid anything with a title
like that. I don't know who the authors are, but the Moz one is more at home
with Edith Piaf from the looks of things. As for a B&S book, I'd like to see
one of those "In Their Own Words" books devoted to them. I'm not usually
backward at coming forward when it comes to rabbitting on about Rock books
I've read, so this time I'll point out a few that I haven't read, but would
like to:

"Moon the Loon: The Amazing Rock'n'Roll Life of Keith Moon"
This was writen by Keith's personal assistant. It begins with an account of
a search for "spare gash". I once saw a copy of it in a second hand bookshop
in Loughborough, but I didn't buy it. What a buffoon I am! The cover alone
is priceless. (Tag, if you're still with us, ask Sean to show you).

"Death Discs" by Alan Clayson
A book about records about death, such as "Leader Of The Pack" and "Don't
Jump Off the Roof, Dad" by Tommy Cooper.

"Soulsville USA: The Story of Stax Records" by Rob Bowman
I'm sure this will contain plenty of Isaac Hayes information, and as such is
a must for guys like me.

"The Crack in the Cosmic Egg" by the fabulous furry Freeman brothers of
Ultima Thule. It's an encyclopaedia of Krautrock, dead big and probably full
of bollocks.

"I've Got a Brand New Trombone Harvester - The Don Drummond Story"
Only available on import from Jamaica, this is the story rise and fall of
the founding father of ska, who killed his wife in a bizarre tromboning
accident and was packed off to a mental institution, where he sat down and
dictated this compelling autobiography.

A good place to find out about music books is the Helter Skelter website,
address unknown. They've got the Deacon Blue book really cheap. Poor old
Ricky Ross, Mister Bargain Bucket.

Beth wrote:

Beth prefers "who ate all the pies? who ate all the pies? The huns! (those
fat bastards) THEY ate all the pies."

I would also like to read a biography of Beth, to find out where all this
stuff comes from. I mean , there she is, being informative and enthusiastic
as usual, and then all of a sudden she comes out with this. B!I!Z!A!R!R!E!
But it was the Huns, they did eat all the pies.

love,
Sister Disco

PS: T!mothy Hopk!ns, you can't pull the wool over my eyes. At least not for
more than a couple of scary seconds. What a memory you have!