Sinister: Things

Ed Mason emason at xxx.com
Thu Aug 20 15:37:18 BST 1998

Fluffy Candarel wrote;
>I have heard not ONE song from that new B&S album. Not one. I hate you
>ALL who have heard them, I really do...when are they played? Please? I'm
>going to *sniffle*

(For UK listees) 'It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career' is 'song of the
week' on the Mark & Lard show this week, they've been playing it every day,
and although there's only one day left if you tune in to Radio 1 between 2
and 4pm tomorrow you'll be guaranteed to hear it.  And very fine it is too

Nick Dastoor wrote;
>Has anyone else recklessly bought tickets for Leeds and Nottingham
>without having any idea where they are going to stay?  Youth hostel
>tips, anyone?

I would offer space on my floor, (for Leeds) but it's already going to be
filled with assorted friends and lunatics, however I think the University
might rent out rooms cheaply in halls of residence, might be worth a try. I
have no idea where the youth hostel is in Leeds, a brief look at Yellow
Pages is less tha helpful, but that's not to say there isn't one...If
people do go to the previously mentioned 'Brighton Beach' club as post-gig
entertainment it's open until 4am which, with an interlude at the local
all-night caff, might just take you up to train running times.

Rock biogs;
There are two Phil Ochs biogs, 'Death of A Rebel' by Marc Eliot and 'There
But For Fortune' by Michael Schumacher.  Which I mention because the Ochs
story itself is truly compelling. And sad.  Brilliance, frustration, early
death.  It could have been a brilliant career.  However avoid the Eliot as
is poorly written, tends to focus on later barren and depressive years and
written by a type who appears to be a freeloader and knew Ochs only in the
last couple of years.

Ska cd buying;
'And This Is A Ska Explosion' (Debutante) is a new, cheapish, and very fine.

Cheers
Ed

The moveonup site :-

http://www.move.u-net.com

A web site dedicated to Classic and Northern Soul.....books,
magazines,info,links