Sinister: RE: Farty Pants Gainsbourg

Warrander John - FML WarranderJ at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 21 11:38:47 BST 1998

	>First off, has anyone mentioned Tuesday night's frolics in
Edinburgh?
	>There was another "Je T'aime Gainsbourg" evening at the Jaffa
Cake in
	>Edinburgh (like the one at the Renfrew Ferry in Glasgow a while
back,
	>and one in 1862 or thereabouts I didnt go to), and the whole of
B&S
	>minus Chris and Loopy Stuart came along and entertained us with
"Poupee
	>de Son", sung by Isobel.  It was a jolly old thing, and Stevie
did
	>"Lolita Go Home" on acoustic too, and some great Stevie (yikes)
Wonder
	>harmonica licks on a couple of other songs.  Moi non plus.

	My god that sounds wonderful. I had heard that this was going on
and was very
	excited that the Edinburgh Nights thing on BBC2 were having a
feature on it.
	Needless to say there was no mention of B&S but Norman Blake
performed
	a very sweet rendition of L'anamour. The bits about Gainsbourg
himself were
	a bit weird though - very flippant! They also showed a clip from
his infamous
	TV encounter with Whitney Houston which was a bit sad really.
The worlds
	greatest flirt reduced to the level of a crude, old uncle. Then
of course they
	managed to drag up some song that consisted of Serge breaking
wind. Our
	very own list expert on the great man (I'm sure there's lots
around but I'm talking
	about Tag here), a man who's spent his life trying to emulate
Gainsbourg, even
	made a rash 'what a horrible man' comment at this. The wee
ginger one did manage
	to compose himself though and at this very moment is off in
Iceland, consulting his
	flatulence svengali on the tricky art of sphincter control. He's
promised a faithful
	rendition at one of the September concerts, which I'm actually
looking forward to
	quite a lot.

	I don't think anyone's mentioned the History of Scottish Rock
and Pop thing
	in the on-going rock biogs dinosaur. Pretty dull book really,
but it does mention
	Orange Juice, The Pastels, Vaselines and Shop Assistants amongst
others (it
	even mentions The Fizzbombs I think) and if it were written a
few years later it
	would have undoubtedly raved on for several paragraphs at least
about B&S which
	kind of makes it almost on topic. It's possibly quite
interesting in bits if you weren't
	into wearing an anorak in the mid-80s but kind of wish you had
been. And it had
	it's own companion radio show which really should be encouraged.
Stephen Pastel
	on the radio. Oh yes!

	Love...John