Sinister: Foxy Lady On The Run In The Snow

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Aug 24 10:06:32 BST 1998

Hello Playmates!

After a weekend of frantic trout tickling, I feel sufficiently refreshed to
attempt a message contaning 100% Belle and Sebastain content. If you should
spot any poor quality references to ironic song combinations or cod-reggae,
just shout "IT'S BEHIND YOU!" and I'll turn round really slowly and pretend
not to see it.

Last Friday, for the second week running, I tuned into John Peel's BBC World
Service programme in the hope of hearing something from the new B&S album. I
decided to do the washing up at the same time. So there I was, scrubbing
away and digging some rather nice go-go music from 1982 when Mister Peel
said, "Hey! Let's bossa nova!" and this record jingled and jangled into
life. Between the washing up bubbles (which by this time had filled half the
kitchen) I thought to myself, "Jesus, I hate these shitty indie groups that
do bossa nova when the real thing was so good..." Slowly, very very slowly,
it dawned on me that the singer's rather effeminate voice was vaguely
familiar, and I stopped washing up and fought my way through the bubbles to
the kitchen table where the radio was. I sat down and looked at it. Yes, the
voice definitely rang a bell, but I still wasn't sure. Then a big squawky
violin solo piled in and everything fell into place. I managed to catch one
word, "acknowledge" and it was all over. "Yet another great record straight
outta Scotland, that's "Ease Your Feet Into The Sea" by Belle and Sebastian
from the new LP.....etc." said John Peel enthusiastically.

Naturally, I immediately revised my opinion of indie bossa nova and took the
day off work to celebrate. A "Dreadlock Holiday", so to speak.

Peter