Sinister: stupid stupid stupid

Rob Baker rbaker at xxx.com
Mon Aug 24 13:01:04 BST 1998

I agreed with you about John Peel. When you listen to his show he does still play some fantastic records. Salako recently for starters. For the last 6 months I have had, frankly, a huge honour being able to work with John Peel on a new C4 show called Sounds of the Suburbs. When you meet him he is all you imagined he would ever be. Anyway one day he asked me who was my favourite band and I nervously said 'Belle and Sebastian' I don't know why but I thought he would hate them (I remember a few months a go someone writing to his show saying that they were revising at the moment and could he play something 'mellow', and John practically shouted "WE DON'T DO MELLOW" and preceded to play Extreme Noise Terrror or the like. But he said he loved them and was really looking forward to their next album.

Anyway all I was going to say it still is really worth listening to his show still. In between the hardcore techno and the experimental industrial abstraction are some vinyl gems.

And here is a tip if you are in a band and want to get a track on to his show. His tape machine has broken in his car so he doesn't listen to many tapes anymore (he gets sent 20 - 30 a day. And if you call your band after a member of his family Floss, Pig, Thomas etc you will get a fast track delivery onto his playlist, I promise. But don't tell anybody I've said that.

love Rob

Well, in the cold light of day, my overly personal and nasty posting
about Keith's letter seems stupid and shameful, so I'd like to apologise
to Keith for being an arsehole. I'm still gutted about what's happened
to my favourite radio station - this morning there was some geezer who
quite obviously didn't want to be there, and to be honest I really
didn't have the desire to listen. Still, Bob Geldof might prove to have
the best taste in history, so there's still hope...

I think Dirty Dream #2 should be released as a single - I've decided
that B&S so deserve to be mega that I don't mind if success takes them
further away from us - you always want what's best for those you love.

I'm feeling very sheepish now.

Love Mark