Sinister: Un Air De Famille/When The Cat's Away

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 25 11:59:35 BST 1998

>Who's seen 'Un Air de Famille' or 'Ma Vie en Rose' ? Talk to me about them.
>A bit of a tangent I know but I remember a bit of a thread about French
>films a while back so I trust this subject's allowed.

I haven't seen Ma Vie En Rose (although it was on round here a while back),
but I _have_ seen Un Air De Famille. I liked it, but didn't think it was
great. There was nothing wrong with it but, being based on a play, it all
took place on a single set and seemed a bit static. The dancing scene,
however, was excellent.  Cedric Clapisch's previous film, Chacun Cherche
Son Chat (When The Cat's Away), was wonderful - all about a woman who goes
looking for her lost cat, realising on the way how lonely she is and
finally finding love. It reminded me a bit of a road movie in that her
journey (here, her search for her cat) leads to self discovery - it's far
more naturalistic and less 'stagey' than Un Air De Famille. And the lead
actress is both gorgeous _and_ vulnerable. A friend of mine saw it and
thought it was depressing, but I found the ending very uplifting and came
out of the cinema on a real high (the true test of a great film, as far as
I'm concerned) - the final scene with Portishead playing is tremendous.

				Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,				"On the ferris wheel,
Leeds,                                  Looking out on Coney Island,
LS9 7TF                                 Under more stars than
U.K.					There are prostitutes in Thailand"

					Strange Powers, Magnetic Fields