Sinister: When The Cat's Away

Philippe GARNIER Philippe.Garnier at xxx.fr
Tue Aug 25 06:39:53 BST 1998

Mark wrote :
>I haven't seen Ma Vie En Rose (although it was on round here a while back),
>but I _have_ seen Un Air De Famille. I liked it, but didn't think it was
>great. There was nothing wrong with it but, being based on a play, it all
>took place on a single set and seemed a bit static. The dancing scene,
>however, was excellent.  Cedric Clapisch's previous film, Chacun Cherche
>Son Chat (When The Cat's Away), was wonderful - all about a woman who goes
>looking for her lost cat, realising on the way how lonely she is and
>finally finding love. It reminded me a bit of a road movie in that her
>journey (here, her search for her cat) leads to self discovery - it's far
>more naturalistic and less 'stagey' than Un Air De Famille. And the lead
>actress is both gorgeous _and_ vulnerable. A friend of mine saw it and
>thought it was depressing, but I found the ending very uplifting and came
>out of the cinema on a real high (the true test of a great film, as far as
>I'm concerned) - the final scene with Portishead playing is tremendous.

Mark is right. "Chacun Cherche Son Chat" (if you can repeat this title 10
times very fast, your french is excellent) is certainly the best film
directed by Cedric Clapisch. I would just add that the old lady who is the
lead actress is not a professional actress. She gave many interviews when
the film was released, and she is really as fantastic in real life as she
was in the film.
happy to see thattere are some french films addicts on Sinister !
"Miaou" said the cat

Philippe