Sinister: Dodgy vampire movies

Vicky Parkinson uczcvap at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 25 14:05:35 BST 1998

Philippe wrote:

>Mark is right. "Chacun Cherche Son Chat" (if you can repeat this title 10
>times very fast, your french is excellent) is certainly the best film
>directed by Cedric Clapisch. I would just add that the old lady who is the
>lead actress is not a professional actress.

I thought that the lead actress was a 20-something long-legged, long dark
hair waif, but maybe there is another french film about a lost cat. I
thought it was great, but I saw it on a first date and he wasn't too
impressed. But then I wasn't too impressed with him, what was I doing
dating an accountant?! (before anyone takes offense, I know there are some
nice accountants out there, and all accountants don't fit to the
stereotype. Who am I to talk any way, I'm an archvist, to which some people
automatically asume I'm a librarian, why?)

Talking of films with Portishead in the soundtrack, has anyone else seen
Nadja? It is this really cool, dark, absurd vampire movie. Everything is
there. picture (in black and white of course) a bi-sexual female vampire,
seducing a woman (very dodgy oral sex scene, not for the easily disgusted),
boyfriend gets suspicious, brings in old doddery academic friend, Nadja has
a brother who is ill, and I think the girlfriend is a means of making him
better, anyway, the end is set in, yes you've guessed it, an old, gloomy
castle, and surprise surprise, there's a stake. It sounds a bit ludicrous,
but with Portishead all the way through it, there can be no other mood than
dark and very atmospheric. If you ever get the chance, do see it, as it is
certainly quite different.

I'm going to be homeless in six days time, spot the bag lady at the London
gig. I suppose it will mean that I'll spend everyday, all day in the
library and computer room working on my dissertation (deadline three weeks
today, aggghhh) which would be no bad thing.

I'm going to be in Toronto for three weeks in Sept/October, so if any-one
can spare a few mins to tell me where the best places for food/drink etc
are, maybe I'll even let you listen to a tape of Looper 'Broadcasting Live
from Mars'. Or something. 'Columbo' is absolutely amazing. Total genius

Vicky xxxx

All I need
is a little time,
To get behind this