Sinister: The City of Lost Children

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 26 11:32:02 BST 1998

>Philippe wrote:
>
>Ezra wrote :
>>You can't go wrong with the City of Lost Children.  I think it's one of
>>Gilliam's finest, and the children are simply brilliant.  Most
>>impressive to me is the cinematagraphy, as with most of Mr. Gilliam's
>>work.
>
>Are you sure that "The City..." was directed by Gilliam ? I think that "La
>cit=E9 des enfants perdus" (french title) was directed by Marc Carro and
>Jean-Pierre Jeunet (who also directed the last Alien). I hope I don't make
>make any confusion, because the french and english titles are sometimes
>very different.

Phillipe, you're right, this was indeed the same film, directed by Jeunet
and Caro. But their style is quite similar to Giliam's in that they both go
for the retro-future look - as if the set designer has come through a time
warp from the 1950's. In Gilliam's case it may have something to do with
him being a fan of Philip K Dick - as for Jeunet and Caro, they've probably
just been watching Brazil :)

I liked The City of Lost Children a lot - it had a nice creepy fairytale
feel about it, and the retro look gave it the same timeless quality that
fairytales have. I liked Jeunet and Caro's first film, Delicatessen, the
best, though. It was in the same style, but far blacker and very funny in
places (Ca c'est un travail pour l'Australian!). The squeaky bedsprings, in
particular, stick in my mind...

				Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,				"On the ferris wheel,
Leeds,                                  Looking out on Coney Island,
LS9 7TF                                 Under more stars than
U.K.					There are prostitutes in Thailand"

					Strange Powers, Magnetic Fields