Sinister: Leeds Gig

Mark Iles iles at xxx.uk
Thu Aug 27 13:18:32 BST 1998

      +---+      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    +---+

>OK, for Leeds, as I see it there are two options for a pre-gig meet up.
>'North Bar' and 'Whitelocks' pub are the two nearest decent watering holes
>to City Varieties, both being more or less a stones throw away.  Unlike
>assorted other local hostelries they're cool re:dress code, and early in
>the evening shouldn't be too busy, although it is a Friday.  Having said
>that North Bar will be the least busy, i.e. more accomodating to large
>numbers of sinisterine types.  it's a newish, minimal kind of bar.
>Whitelocks is an oldish (actually I believe they claim to be the oldest pub
>in Leeds) traditional pub kind of thing.
>
>Enough wibbling. - What do people think, especially others in Leeds or
>familiar with it?

I like Whitelocks the best - it's got a really friendly atmosphere and the
beer's top, served in pint glasses, with handles. It's not very big,
though, so it would depend how many people are turning up. And for those
who don't drink beer, it has the nicest Strongbow I've ever tasted (now
_there's_ a recommendation).

>Post-gig, I think the consensus is 'Brighton Beach' at the Cockpit
>11pm-4am, it's very near the train station (about 2 minutes). 2 rooms,
>indie/sixties/soul etc.

Kind of depends on what band they have playing that night, though... I
would have said that the Undergound is a far more "Belle and Sebastian"
kind of place. It's quite small and friendly (while The Cockpit is quite
grungy) with lots of tables round the dance floor and excellent garlic
bread at their food counter. On Friday's it's The Cooker. It's the only
night I've never been there, so don't know what it's like, except that it's
some kind of sixties thang (and Soul's been covered at Move On Up on
Wednesdays). Anyone else know?

Having said all this I have a friend visiting that weekend, so whether I'll
go to any of these places after the gig is far from certain...

				Mark

Mark Iles,                              Tel: +44 (0113) 2065042
Imperial Cancer Research Fund,          Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183
Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory,
Ashley Wing,                            Email: iles at boreas.leeds.icnet.uk
St James's University Hospital,
Beckett Street,				"On the ferris wheel,
Leeds,                                  Looking out on Coney Island,
LS9 7TF                                 Under more stars than
U.K.					There are prostitutes in Thailand"

					Strange Powers, Magnetic Fields