Sinister: the chronicles of matinee

Martin Horsfield martin_horsfield at xxx.com
Tue Dec 1 14:25:32 GMT 1998

What ho listees!

Did anyone see the wee article on CS Lewis in the weekend's Observer?
Not being a huge fan of posho kids' books myself, I've never read 'The
Lion, The Witch..' et al, though as Lewis is a major influence on Mr
Murdoch, I took an interest in the piece. The thrust of its tenor (or
should that be tenor of its thrust?) was that Lewis was a bit of an
old puritan, with a high moral tone in his work.

Consequently, though kids love his books, adults find them a bit
creepy. The irony of course is that grown-ups love Belle & Sebastian
while the kids find them a bit creepy.

Much has been written about Belle and Sebastian's religious interests,
but how do we square this apparent spirituality with their voyeuristic
bent (prisoners with Arab straps and the like). Discuss.

Meanwhile, in a packed programme tonight, your correspondent will be
going to the Borderline to see soul/country songwriting legend Dan
Penn and distribute some flyers for Matinee's gigs this week. We're
playing the Hope & Anchor on Wednesday and the Acoustic Caff on
Thursday, in the face of stiff competition from Hefner and Grand Drive
respectively. Any listees that want flyers, please mail me at the
above address. Americans: if you can't make it, you can smell Matinnee
live at a North London pub gig, complete with Real Audio at our site
(www.members.tripod.com/~the_embankment).

You'll be grateful to know that my 'Study At Stow' stage gear has now
arrived.
Martin Horsfield, left-handed bassist

PS/ Anyone who likes literate pop with added shagging should check out
Hefner's 'Breaking God's Heart'. When Matinee retreat to their garrets
for some songwriting next weekend, the (artisitc) success of that
record will be upp