Sinister: with a parrot on my shoulder saying every when i talk

Anastasia Signoretta Anastasia_Signoretta at xxx.com
Tue Dec 1 15:42:31 GMT 1998

hullo lovelies,

i know the poetry parrot is meant to soar on mondays, but i'm a working
lass and yesterday found me a bit preoccupied with more important things,
like whether or not jewel's record is number one in malaysia.

anyhow, i share a piece with you by one of my favorite masters of verse, ee
cummings.  a bit of history: i first encountered ee in high school, when
one of my teachers complained about my handwriting.  i used to write
everything in lower-case print (actually, i still do) and a lot of the time
i would neglect to include punctuation in certain places.  i think i was
trying to be 'artistic' or something.  anyhow, that teacher started calling
me 'ee' and i was so intrigued by someone named ee who had a handwriting
style similar to mine, i started reading his lovely poetry.  the poem i
present to you is one of the first i read and i think it's my favorite.

[since feeling is first]

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
--the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for eachother: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

-ee cummings

i'm feeling silly, romantic and a bit light-headed lately, forgive me.

so i free the parrot from its cage to land on another's shoulder...watch
out, i'm sending you an e-mail soon.

have a pretty day and a splendid night.

cheers, stasia