Sinister: Narnia

Emanuel Brown e.brown at xxx.com
Tue Dec 1 22:16:55 GMT 1998

I must have read the Chronicles of Narnia about twenty times while growin' up. They had this beautiful mix of fantasy and religion that didn't really sink in until much later. My favorite was the Silver Chair, although I really don't remember it that well anymore.

The coolest part is that my grandmother, god rest her soul, turned me on to them. She bought me a paperback boxed-set which I both devoured readily and maintained religiously for it was the first time that she and I ever bonded over anything. After she passed on, I was looking through some of her books and noticed quite a lot of CS Lewis stuff. Some of which I tried to read and found to be interesting in a dreadfully dull sort of way. Kind of like the Bible, which I suppose makes all the sense in the world. The only other series I ever thought came close was the JRR Tolkein stuff, though Tolkein really got obnoxious with his thinly veiled divinity abstractions.

The best thing about those Narnia books for me was the way gender roles were developed. The boys and girls all had something that made them special and unique and therefore perfectly equal in their inequality. Just like all of you darlings, I'm sure. To me that seemed normal, unlike what was being shoved down my throat in 1970-80's North Carolina.

As for B&S-Narnia connection it, well… it is fairly romantic and lyrical, both of which seem to be keys to B&S songcraft. Hats off to 'em if all this is actually true. Do kids these days have anything really absorbing like this or are those "everybody poops" books the best we can do for 'em (though those are kinda funny)?

xoxo
emanuel

on my turntable: fuck "pardon my french"

Free, fast e-mail accessible anytime, anywhere http://www.imaginemail.com