Sinister: SW9 Thanksgiving Plus

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Wed Dec 2 14:19:53 GMT 1998

Saturday evening, my flat, a little after 9:30pm.  There are 34 people
here.  Thirty-bleedin'-four.  In the lounge, hall, kitchen and
bathroom (booze centrale).  Sadly, despite my best efforts, no one
seems keen to make "use" of the bedrooms ('Cupid & Psyche 85' in one,
a huge 'fun' pile of coats with enormous kissing-den possibilities in
the other).

Time smears.  Numbers have thinned and now the blender on top of the
Zanussi is generating beverages with outlandish amounts of froth and
colours not found in nature.  Fairy Liquid, anyone ?  Ah, Jasper - I
thought you might...  Mr Leonard digs himself a hole next to a Noted
Violinist, and Trousers and Tim H happily pile the earth on top of
him; he redeems himself later with acoustic dexterity and 'A Child Is
Born'.

Later still.  Someone has kindly 'returned' their portion of the feast
to us, thankfully most of it is in the flushing zone.  We've put the
mumbling wreck in the corner of the kitchen to bed (once the
mastermind behind Sportique and DJ Downfall's assault on the lower
reaches of the Rough Trade chart) after a mighty struggle and one or
more damaged vertebrae.  Tim H is still drinking, though all that
seems to be left are the accumulated dregs of a thousand drained
Stella bottles and whatever's blocking up the sink.  Various useless
cab firms are called, called again and finally verbally abused.
Somehow we're down to single figures, half of them snoring, before
daylight.  We decide the Xmas lights look so good, we vow never to
take them down...

The next day we flick through the polaroids, including the monochrome
ones from the previous morning's, er, formalities.  (Belle & Sebastian
in) Manchester... so much to answer for...

Mike  x.