Sinister: These are a few of my favourite things... and request for Michael Head album:):)

Kin Woo travelling_light at xxx.com
Wed Dec 2 15:32:21 GMT 1998

Hello pop pals. Yes It's that time of year again where our beloved music
press compile their year's best albums. Glad to see B&S so high on
Select's list and I predict a similar pattern for NME, Melody Maker etc.
More than makes up for the fact that "IYFS" was cruelly left out of most
music press's Critic's Lists last year.  It is a most magnificent album.
So in the spirit of these times, I have compiled a personal best list,
and since Honey has stressed "no music lists", I'm gonna respect his
wishes and just tell about why some albums have made it to my best list
very, very briefly.
Unfortunately, my favourite album of the year has to be Black Box
Recorder's "England Made Me". Not since Belly's debut "Star" has there
been an album that has reached glorious new heights of perversity. It's
very quietness adds to its power. It is very sinister and chilling
indeed. And yes Philippe, Sarah Nixey is a most beautiful girl indeed
and here voice is spine-tinglingly lovely, even if it is detailing
morbid lyrics. It beat out "TBWTAS" mainly cos I'm just a sucker for the
darker side of pop.
So there is no need to say how wonderful the B&S album is, cos we ALL
know it. In third place is Air's "Moon Safari" because it's
ground-breaking just like the One Dove, Bjork and DJ Shadow albums are,
and also the unspeakably gorgeous Bacharach-ian influenced soundscapes.
Fourth is Mercury Rev's "Deserters Songs" which is also another
favourite of my fellow listees judging by a lot of posts about it. Fifth
would probably be Tori Amos's "From The Choirgirl Hotel" cos she beats
Courtney  Love hands down. Her album embraces techno very successfully
and is a very intoxicating blend of her weird and wonderful voice and
strange instrumentation.  And there are the songs of the Tori of old
which are impossibly sad like "Playboy Mommy" and "Northern Lad". It's a
massive improvement from "Boys For Pele".
So there you have it. Other albums that have made it for me include
Catatonia's "International Velvet", Garbage's "Version 2.0",
Spiritualized's "live from Royal Albert Hall", Sparklehorse's "Good
Morning Spider", both Elliott Smith albums and the UNKLE album among
many others, though I'm not gonna talk about 'em for fear of incurring
Honey's wrath:)
Hmmm does anyone out there have the Michael Head album, "Introducing The
Strands"??? I've been hearing the greatest things about them and was
wondering if anyone can tell me more about them. It seems whenever I
write, it's to ask whether my fellow listees have heard various albums.
Oh well:) Could someone be so kind as to tape a copy of the album for
me, if one has it. I have a LOT of rare, live and unreleased B&S stuff
to trade (although that is a bit naughty to write on the list). I've got
TONS of other stuff, maybe some you are interested in- I've got heaps of
Tindersticks  (all the albums including "Donkeys", plus a tape of all
their early vinyl recordings up to 1995), Belly (again, lots of rare
stuff), and gazilions others including Sparklehorse, Air, Andrea Parker,
Black Box Recorder, Kristin Hersh, Tanya Donelly, One Dove, Teenage
Fanclub, Pulp, Beth Orton, Beck, Lush, Garbage, Throwing Muses,
Spiritualized, Palace etc, etc. If you would want to trade, please
contact me privately at my uni email addre
So yeah please contact me Michael Head fans and hope we can do a lovely
trade:)
Seeya folks
Kin Woo
With A Star Upon Your Shoulder