Sinister: Never had a nickname (except Joey Deacon and I didn't like it)

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Wed Dec 2 19:59:40 GMT 1998

'Fisky' wrote:

>Just as the list was threatening to get dull, it's good to see you all
>addressing the big issues with such gusto (sex, religion, lame 80s
>movies). I'm especially pleased that my CS Lewis post provoked such
>reaction. Perhaps one day I shall be a man of influence on this list,
>like those they call the 'Duke', 'Candarel', 'Honey' or, indeed,
>'Trousers'.

Does influence come with having a rubbish nicknames?  Heaven knows
where we might be today if only Hitler had decided to rechristen
himself 'poppet' or something.

Actually, I'm being unfair - Tag and Trousers have problems getting
their mouths around their real names; the Duke really can trace a
direct bloodline back to the original conquest of Harringay (c.1122)
and like the Prince of Wales, doesn't have to live in his ancestral
seat anymore if he finds uncomfortable; FluffyCandarel 'northern' for
Sarah; and Honey is of course beyond reproach.

Anyway - I don't like all this A-list listee business.  It puts people
off and implies that Tag is worth reading.  Which he is, but only when
he sheds the juvenile foppish style he adopts on Sinister and gets
down to serious ROCK journalism in the pages of 'Uncut' magazine each
month. Subscribe today - it's a hoot.

I do like the idea of an A-team listee business though.  Anyone game?

During some squabble a few weeks ago ,someone said a while ago that
the only people who can get away with saying anything on this list are
the 'smooth talking English' types.  I liked this idea and I would
like whoever it was to publish a list of their top smooth English list
members.  Perhaps the winner could get to be Face in the new A-team.

New competition - I will give a tape of the Billy Ocean 'Get out of my
dreams get into my car' 12 minute megamix (on cassingle) to the most
entertaining Boolean search expression you have tried on the new
Sinister archive.  I must say I find all those commas and semicolons a
bit confusing, being a good old-fashioned AND OR NOT boy myself.  Not
sure if it allows parentheses either, but they are OK in my game.

Actually, I haven't got that Billy Ocean megamix at all, but it does
exist - a flatmate of mine once owned it and he's now TEACHING YOUR
CHILDREN.  Even if you don't have children, he's teaching them in some
insidious way.  Who on the list has got children apart from that
Martin Connelly?

Nicholas xxxx

P.S. Like WiseHoney says lots of times, please let's not have a
barrage of posts just listing your fave records.  Weave them magically
into other posts if you need to....  Hope I'm not speaking out of
turn.  Email me privately if you think I am.