Sinister: THe morning after

Martin Horsfield martin_horsfield at xxx.com
Thu Dec 3 14:23:02 GMT 1998

Dear all,

Thanks for the hug, Gary. Actually my gig going expeirences this week
were quite revelatory - it was my gig playing experiences I'd rather
forget. I fucked up the bassline to one of our songs so royally last
night that I could see Sara from Girlfrendo wincing. When a band that
plays as badly as them notices a couple of little mistakes, you know
you've got problems. Spent the evening drowning my sorrows downstairs
in the Hope & Anchor, hearing news of Pete Wylie's lastest woes, which
didn't exactly lighten the mood. I woke up in Turnpike Lane on the
drummer's settee, absolutely minging, and had to be in Docklands for
9.30. Only shop to get some new socks in is bastard Gap! It's only
midday now, but the whole day's a fucking rollercoaster ride. We're
doing another bloody gig tonight!

(Aplogies for non-twee language)

As for list business, my non-staus here was confirmed when the
(ridiculously elitist) idea of an A-list came up. My nicknames remark
was credited to 'Fisky' and not 'Martin Horsfield'. I've never had a
nickname, and don't particularly want to start now (though 'Matinee
Mart' would do, as at least you'd then associate me with my foppish
indie band).

As for the person asking for the source of Murdoch's fondness for CS
Lewis. I believe he referred to it in an interview ;n 'Bigwig'
magazine, which I posted to the list last month. If anyone wants a
photocopy, or just to see the text, email me personally (preferably at
mart at subcult.demon.co.uk). It's the high moral tone of Lewis' work
which makes critics suspicious of him, it seems (though Lewis Carroll
never got such a bad rap for taking creepy pictures of his nieces).

As for Clinton Hill, are there any other second division footballers
who share their names with parts of the US? I think we should be told.

Lastly:
1) Anyone who likes Cornelius/Beck/Bjork?/Salad/Pizzicato Five should
attempt to see a band called Femini Flyers, who are over in Britain
for a few weeks. I only saw two of their songs, and I don't really
connect with that sort of music, but all present last night said that
they were amazing.

2) Anyone who can't get in to see Grand Drive at the Garage tonight,
please come down and introduce yourselves to Matinee. We're playing at
the Acoustic Cafe, quite early, 9-ish. I can't vouch for the calibre
of the other bands as the whole thing's been organised absolutely
shambolically (Ta Carl). Email me at the hotmail address for a flyer.

3) As for albums of the year. no wonder IYFS was criminally ignored in
1997's polls - it came out in 1996, didn't it!
The best album of 1998 is Kingsize by The Boo Radleys, closely
followed by Deserters Songs, Ray Of Light, Breaking God's Heart,
TBWTAS, Celebrity Skin, Overcome By Happiness by The Pernice Brothers,
The Essential Terry Callier, Flying High by Gene Clarke, Good Humor by
Saint Etienne, Kylie Minogue, Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse, the
not-bad-really Gomez album, Pelaton by the Delgados, the best of
James, Courtney's live Belle & Sebastian tapes, The Good Will Out, The
Masterplan, the Cornelius album, Spiritualised live at the Royal
Albert Hall, Bob Dylan live at the etc..., Portishead's NYC live (this
is the first year in living memory when three live albums have been
released that are completely essential), Morcheeba's Big Calm and Ben
Lee's Something To Remember Me By. Bet I've forgotten some too.

Oh well, this post took an hour and now I'm off to lunch! You can't
beat wasting office time. I think I'll have loads of water so I need
to pe