Sinister: The mating game

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Thu Dec 3 20:34:12 GMT 1998

Hola,

Keith, I second that emotion.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't
strangely compelled to follow its progress, but isn't the list crush
thing spiralling ever more out of control?  Oh sure, it's a good
laugh, but it's also a sure-fire way of inflating inflatable egos,
inspiring desperate "notice me" posts, and giving the more insecure an
inferiority complex.  And I seriously doubt that anyone's got a shag
out of it.  So what's the point, other than a popularity competition?

Nick Dastoor wrote:

>Anyway - I don't like all this A-list listee business.  It puts people
>off and implies that Tag is worth reading.  Which he is, but only when
>he sheds the juvenile foppish style he adopts on Sinister...

Juvenile and foppish, eh?  That sounds like a book someone recommended
here.  On several occasions.  I'll take it as a compliment, if only
because it suits me to do so.  Obviously, I wouldn't write if I didn't
think I was worth reading.  Now, if there really was an A-list, it
certainly would put people off.  But I don't think there is.  I
certainly didn't ask to be on it.  Some people are always going to get
more attention than others, either cos people think they're more
entertaining or because they talk more shite, but those who aren't
old-timers or natural writers can still come up with something
delicious, if they say it with love.  Apart from Brad, of course, who
is clearly incapable of love and yesterday claimed to have been
"intimate" with my mother.  Oh, you're bad, Brad.  Does this mean I
can call you Dad, Brad?  Kiss my curvy butt, Poetry Parrot.

Belle and Sebastian content:  They're number 21 in the Uncut writer's
poll.  Now which wanker voted for them, eh?

Love,
Tag xx