Sinister: Man on the Clapham omnibus

Carrick C Blair carrick44 at xxx.com
Fri Dec 4 05:04:32 GMT 1998

Hello all...

Well it seems that a few of us our on the same wave
length...

Just when I thought it was a good time to start a little
C.S. Lewis discussion, everybody else goes at it during my
absence.

And before I get into it a few mundane questions. I remember
reading in that lovely, but somewhat inaccurate, article about
B&S in Puncture a while back about there being C.S. Lewis'
quotes in a few songs. Which ones? Any C.S./B&S experts out
there?

(And on a totally unrelated to CS Lewis topic. A friend of mine
claims to have been given a American promo copy of IYFS, and
he says its a slightly different mix from the subsequent American
CD. The vocals sound different, he says. Anyone clear this up?)

Dear C.S. Lewis. I have to admit that I've only read his most
famous book, Lion, Witch, etc., but I have been quite
captivated by this man for quite a while. He figured large
in the spiritual development of a dear friend of mine.
And Stuart's comments in the press, have just added fuel
to fire. Christian Rock? Indeed, sometimes I wonder what
goes through this boy's head. But lets get back to C.S. Lewis,
the Greater Stuart Murdoch, as it were. Or is it the other
way around. Sorry if that made no sense.

So I'm reading this editorial about Lewis, talks about his
religious leanings, conversion, etc.  when this line pops out at
me...

"Lewis had a mystical sense of divine presence while on
a BUS." (Capitals mine)

Something to do with Lewis being led to Christianity "by
a sense that the everyday-ness of life is permeated by
glory." Did this this whole fascination with buses start with
our dear Mr. Lewis?

>From what I understand, far from being a "religious freak",
Lewis didn't turn to Christianity till later in life, after years
of mingling with the hipsters of his day, the "cool set" of Oxford.
He was probably tired of the whole game. He thought the man
on the bus was more interesting. My friend, mentioned
previously, told me last night that far from being puritanical
about things, he was still very much intrigued with the more
sinister side of life. One of his buddies, Evelyn Waugh, is also
quoted in this article. A quote from one of his stories...

"I think it would be a very wicked thing indeed to do anything
to fit a boy for the modern world."

This same guy wrote another book, with a character named
Sebastian. A sad fellow. Very devoted, usually drunk. I think
he even crashed his car in the rain. I'm not sure if it was
raining, though.

But Martin said...

>Much has been written about Belle and Sebastian's religious interests,
>but how do we square this apparent spirituality with their voyeuristic
>bent (prisoners with Arab straps and the like). Discuss.

This could turn into a post of Gateau/Ried porportions, so I hold that
discussion off for some other time. Like tomorrow.

Yikes! No smut, no humor! No "Keith" name dropping!
Almost all C.S.Lewis/religion.
Uncrushworthy.

Love

Carrick

ps a little bird told me, that the book currently on top of
Stuart Murdoch's C.S. Lewis Recommended Reading
List, is "That Hideous Strength"