Sinister: delurking and things

Mark Bourbonnais marktb at xxx.edu
Fri Dec 4 06:52:58 GMT 1998

halloo sinisterians ..

though i've been on the list for a while, i've not yet posted .. this is due
largely to the fact that i'm a lurker by nature .. a voyeur, not a creator
(this is why i'm a literature major and not creative writing).  i cast my
crush vote on an unsuspecting individual with whom i've been corresponding
on a periodic basis and i hope they don't find out because i'll become
flustered.  this happens to me frequently as all my crushes always manage to
find out about my secret interest in them .. it's a weird feeling, like how
you feel when you're in the middle of a big clearing, naked, and your
clothes are on the other side of the clearing and you know that everyone is
watching you.  you don't know whether to go get your clothes, or just stand
there and act normal .. not that i've ever been in THAT situation before ..

the other day i had a job interview early in the morning a few miles away,
so i dressed nice and pretty and took the autobus to my interview ..
however, i caught an earlier bus than i was planning and was 1hr 45mins
early .. so i bought a banana and a cup of vanilla coffee from seven-eleven
and went to the local park.  it was soft and dewy and i was content to enjoy
my banana and converse with two homeless fellows whilst lasted the duration
of my wait.  they shared with me many exciting things, as in how to obtain
sexual favors from prostitutes in downtown los angeles and how to get free
health benefits by posing as a mentally insane veteran.  though i have no
personal use for these nuggets of wisdom, it was quite nice to get a glimpse
at the lives of others.

i find myself strangely out of place on this list - in station, but not in
spirit.  i am resigned to listen to mainstream pop and rock that many might
find vulgar and plain, and i am largely unaware of the musical trends that
frequent the thoughts and posts of the traditional listee .. however, this
is my post in life and i am happy to fill it.  i do, however, revel in
receiving cotton candy letters from cute twees who relish the construction
of sentences and watching people on the autobus the same way i do.

the ex-inhabitants of our apartment still receive an overwhelming amount of
mail .. we forward their bills and correspondence but keep their magazines,
which are unfortunately not that interesting if you don't gravitate toward
the skanky and obscene.  victoria's secret, glamour, vogue, vanity fair,
cosmopolitan .. i keep the j. crew catalogues because i like their clothes,
though i am too poor to buy them.  i want to order a pair of mittens from
them, however.  we'll see ..

on that note, i thought it would be fruitful to find out if there are any
listees that live in the los angeles area.  i ran into a nice boy at my
university who was wearing the "study at stow" shirt, and i said "hi" and
tried to talk with him, but he was rather glum and unenthusiastic so i let
him be.  i think it would be quite pleasant to orchestrate a friendly
christmas party among us though i am too fearful to post that on the message
board.  anyone?

and .. lastly .. i am in great need of the beat patrol and black sessions
recordings, as they popped up without me knowing (and, being across the
ocean, i was unable to be so affluent as to record them on my own).  so i
ask people who may have had this chance .. i can trade top-quality
recordings of tigermilk, the 3 demos, the 2 radcliffe sessions, the 2
evening sessions, blank tapes, good friendship or a really good backrub.

farewell and good night
mark