Sinister: I'M PUTTING AN END TO THAT STUPID GRAMMAR THING HERE, SO READ THIS.

Jarkko Fr�ntil� frantila at xxx.com
Fri Dec 4 10:57:47 GMT 1998

ABOUT GRAMMAR:

Ok, fist (hahahahha...sigh) things first. This is a fact now. The form
people use today is, as you all well know, "It is me", not "It is I".
How do I know, being a Finn and all?

Well, I tried to get in to the University of Helsinki last year to study
english, and I had to read this pretty funny book about the use of the
english language. Not too many pictures in that book, but I managed to
read it through. Anyhow, one of the things the writer talked about was
just that "It is I/It is me"-thing. Let me explain this now, once and
for all, so you don't have to fight about it anymore:

"It is me" is the form people use now. "It is I" was in use about a 100
years ago. Well, all languages change. So did english, and for some
reason "It is I" became "It is me". The form "It is I" can still be
used, but what's the point in that? It sounds clumsy, doesn't it?

But some time ago some professors and other wanks in the UK started to
fight about the use of the english language. They said that "It is me"
sounded clumsy and is used by ignorant and lower class people, so it
should be replaced with the older, more noble form, "It is I".

All the hell broke loose. The professors were made ridicilous after
someone wrote a letter to them and told them that "My name is John"
sounded soething like "G'hilt no John" about 700 years ago in England.
Maybe they should fight for that too? After all, if they fought for "It
is I" so much, why stop there?

Hmm, I just read what I had written and it seems a bit confusing. Hope
this helped someone, though.

@--->--- a rose, love and other pretty things, jarkko fräntilä, waiting
for the evening. It's friday, you know.