Sinister: Unloveable

Michael Barrett Michael.Barrett at xxx.com
Fri Dec 4 06:04:57 GMT 1998

>I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but as it seems to be along
>similar lines to some of the lit so far mentioned "The Weirdstone of
>Brisingamen" is unmitigated SHITE and I have ben scarred by its pompous,
>pointless bland elf-wank since I was forced to read it when I was 9.

Wow, flashback city (jee, I sound all American).  I remember reading this
book when I was 9 as well.  I don't think I was made to, I think I was
looking for something simlar to the Hobbit. I can't remember anything about
it except, to paraphrase you, it was elf-shite. Good expression, by the way.
I must use it more often.

Since the "lurking 'Englishman in Tokyo' androgenous person with sixties
footwear" person isn't mailing at the moment (go on, you know you want to),
I must pass on the information that his local tube station is called
'gofukumachi'.  Don't you just love a country that names it stations after
insults.  I am now looking for 'Sakodiko' and 'Urepishman'.

Dilemma: Should I buy IYFS and TBWTAS here just because they have funky
Japanese writing on the spine?  Or is that being way too sad?

>this sweet li'l american girl is headed to Glasgow next semester
To get that authentic B&S feeling I recommed going out to Easterhouse and
chatting to some of the locals.  They really are a friendly bunch and always
love to see Americans, whether they are wearing flares or not.  There is a
vibrant local poetry scene, so just ask directions to the nearest reading,
and maybe bring some of your own!

Michael