Sinister: Ready Steady Go

Warrander John - FML WarranderJ at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 4 14:42:06 GMT 1998

Hello All,

The lovely Anne from Glasgow sent me the URL for a top pop
web site called "Ready Steady Go" which has lots of nice pieces
about many wonderful bands including the truly magical
"Sagittarius" and "Millennium". These were the brain childs of pop
genius Curt Boettcher with the multi-talented Gary Usher lending
a helping hand. If you haven't got any Sagittarius or Millennium
records and you love "Pet Sounds" then I'd have a quick read of
the Curt Boettcher article then swiftly make your way to CDNow
who have reissues of "Present Tense" and "Begin", both of which
are absolutely sumptuous and a snip at whatever price they're
selling at. The site's well worth a visit and can be found at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.ritchie/readysteadygo.html

There's also a Gainsbourg article which includes a quote from
our hero about the naughty Frenchman:

Stuart Murdoch of Britain's most poetic new band BELLE and
SEBASTIAN remembers how he first discovered Gainsbourg.
"I was listening to John Peel and heard Bardot singing this wild
motorcycle hymn "Harley Davidson." I can't speak French but
I taught myself how to sing it and play it on the piano. My flatmate
at that time was a French scholar and he would bring French
friends round and they would laugh hearing me singing this great
French song in such a funny Scottish/French accent. I got this
compilation next and although I couldn't understand the words it
was filled with these amazingly different sonic sensations."

Also, Norwegian pop funsters "Kings of Convenience" will be
playing an acoustic set downstairs at The Star and Garter in
Manchester tomorrow. I think it's probably free to get in and I
have it on good authority that they are wonderful. Not sure
when it all starts, but it finishes at 11pm and there's two bands
(the other lot are "Alfie", a local band from Salford) so nothing
much will happen before 9pm I'd guess.

The End
Love...John