Sinister: kids toda

Heather Marie Propes asbuch at xxx.edu
Fri Dec 4 17:59:13 GMT 1998

I like Belle and Sebastian a lot, and I like "pop" a lot. It's a witty,
funny, and romantic musical genre.

Yet, just reading around the list and learning more about this movement, I
am amazed at how contrary it seems to any youth movemnt I have ever known.
My dad is a collector of 1950's American rock 'n' roll. With over 30,000
records and 5 books published, I consider him something of an expert. He
tells me about the 1950's and 60's movements, when rock-n-roll kids were
troublesome, rebellious, leather and ragged demin wearing monsters. Later,
the movements I followed, punk, new wave, and "death rock" were always
outwardly subversive. Political or "Shocking" lyrics (Crass, Gang of Four,
The Damned, Bauhaus) and extremely "apocalyptic" looks (pointy boots and
black hair) were de rigeur. To be called "pop" was equivalent to death. It
was worse, embarrassment.

This is what I consider to be so interesting about this movement, it's
niceness. Please, someone, explain this to me. Are the hugs, fuzzy
sweaters, comeraderie with one's parents all a symbol of a greater
cultural fear of the millenial unknown, or is this for real? I love the
music, but I'd like to solve the mystery of the seemingly docile youth who
follow it.

Ciao,

http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/asbuch/index.htm#hometop

Heather Marie Propes   asbuch at midway.uchicago.edu