Sinister: kids toda

Anastasia Signoretta Anastasia_Signoretta at xxx.com
Fri Dec 4 18:20:48 GMT 1998

heather and everyone else,

hiya popkids.  i think i've mentioned before on this list that youth
movements fascinate me (or maybe i haven't i forget).  so of course i'm
responding to heather's thoughts for the day.

i think something we need to decide before we discuss this any further is
this: is 'pop,' as heather called it, a 'movement'?  it certainly is *not*
a movement, i think, in the same way the mods, the rockers, the punks, the
teddy boys and even the ravers were movements...all of those youth groups
were rebelling against something, be it politcal circumstances or just
their parents' values.

which brings up the next necessity of this discussion: let's define 'pop'.
i assume heather meant 'indiepop' when she wrote that, but these days there
are so many classifications and so many genres and even the same words mean
different things depending on which country you're in (like the word 'indie,
' for example).  now, if we're talking about indie rawk kids in america,
then i guess we can say they are rebelling against corporate music, and in
turn rebelling against the mainstream.  but indie kids in britain are
entirely different kinds of fuzzy sweater wearers, now aren't they?  a lot
of 'indie' bands in britain are signed to big corporate labels, so in what
way are indie kids in britain part of any kind of movement?

the thing is, to me it seems that kids these days don't have much to rebel
against, and therefore the 'movements'  (if you can call them that) that
they 'subscribe' to don't tend to 'embody' their whole lives or styles or
lifestyles.  when you were a mod you were a MOD, it's who you were and it
was what you were about.  in my experience, indie rawk kids half the time
don't even want to admit that they belong to any kind of subculture, cos
they are too busy denying its existance at all, too busy being 'innovative
individuals.'

ooh, better stop...i feel i'm about to get snippy.  but yes, here's my
question: do we think these movements exist at all anymore, or even have
any reason to?  i think these subcultures exist, but the things that
motivate them, if there even are any motivations, are completely different
than the motivations of the groups are parents belonged to.

*sigh* okay, enough from me...

cheers, stasia
-------------
Original Text
>From "Heather Marie Propes" <asbuch at midway.uchicago.edu>, on 12/4/98 1:00
PM:
I like Belle and Sebastian a lot, and I like "pop" a lot. It's a witty,
funny, and romantic musical genre.

Yet, just reading around the list and learning more about this movement, I
am amazed at how contrary it seems to any youth movemnt I have ever known.
My dad is a collector of 1950's American rock 'n' roll. With over 30,000
records and 5 books published, I consider him something of an expert. He
tells me about the 1950's and 60's movements, when rock-n-roll kids were
troublesome, rebellious, leather and ragged demin wearing monsters. Later,
the movements I followed, punk, new wave, and "death rock" were always
outwardly subversive. Political or "Shocking" lyrics (Crass, Gang of Four,
The Damned, Bauhaus) and extremely "apocalyptic" looks (pointy boots and
black hair) were de rigeur. To be called "pop" was equivalent to death. It
was worse, embarrassment.

This is what I consider to be so interesting about this movement, it's
niceness. Please, someone, explain this to me. Are the hugs, fuzzy
sweaters, comeraderie with one's parents all a symbol of a greater
cultural fear of the millenial unknown, or is this for real? I love the
music, but I'd like to solve the mystery of the seemingly docile youth who
follow it.

Ciao,

http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/asbuch/index.htm#hometop

Heather Marie Propes   asbuch at midway.uchicago.edu

InetReceived: from gatekeeper.wmg.com by corp2.wmg.com via 207.142.212.98
with SMTP-TCP; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:00:18 EST
InetReceived: from internalif.wmg.com ([207.142.212.97]) by
gatekeeper.wmg.com (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id MAA29286 for
<Anastasia_Signoretta at wmg.com>; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:52:09 -0500 (EST)
InetReceived: from envy.ph.ed.ac.uk ([129.215.72.168]) by
internalif.wmg.com via smtpd (for gatekeeper.wmg.com [207.142.212.98]) with
SMTP; 4 Dec 1998 18:00:30 UT
InetReceived: from localhost (daemon at localhost) by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk
(8.6.12/8.6.12) with SMTP id RAA24559; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:59:35 GMT
InetReceived: by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk (bulk_mailer v1.9); Fri, 4 Dec 1998
17:59:21 +0000
InetReceived: (from majordomo at localhost) by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk
(8.6.12/8.6.12) id RAA24525 for sinister-outgoing; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:59:15
GMT
InetReceived: from haven.uchicago.edu (root at haven.uchicago.edu
[128.135.12.3]) by envy.ph.ed.ac.uk (8.6.12/8.6.12) with ESMTP id RAA24520
for <sinister at majordomo.net>; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:59:08 GMT
InetReceived: from midway.uchicago.edu (root at midway.uchicago.edu
[128.135.12.12]) by haven.uchicago.edu (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id LAA04869
for <sinister at majordomo.net>; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:59:27 -0600 (CST)
InetReceived: from harper.uchicago.edu (root at harper.uchicago.edu
[128.135.12.7]) by midway.uchicago.edu (8.8.5/8.8.3) with ESMTP id LAA16102
for <sinister at majordomo.net>; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:59:17 -0600 (CST)
InetReceived: from localhost (12459 at localhost [127.0.0.1]) by
harper.uchicago.edu (8.8.5/8.8.3) with SMTP id LAA09560 for
<sinister at majordomo.net>; Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:59:15 -0600 (CST)