Sinister: Felt ain't twee!!!

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Fri Dec 4 18:10:34 GMT 1998

I can't remember who wrote it...Robert?  Someone found a lot of records in
a store including the Pastels, House of Love and Felt...and proceeded to
call all of them 'twee.' If I may say so, I disagree with that assessment.
I think that Felt are one of the most un-twee bands *ever* to be embraced
by the indiepopnoscenti, if only for Lawrence's disturbingly Lou Reed vs.
Bob Dylan voice and their aesthetic in general.  The early stuff is almost
4AD-like really, looking at the record sleeves and listening to M.
Deebank's snaky guitar.  Almost like the Cocteau Twins with less effects.
Plus some of those songs are really, really long and complex.  And the
musicianship is top-notch.  And there's reverb, dammit!:)

Not a flame, just a personal opinion.  I never feel like bouncing my head
and singing along giddily when listening to Felt...except for maybe "Rain
of Crystal Spires" and other Martin Duffy-era stuff.

I've said it before, I'll say it again

Xavier
--
BXK                             		M o t h e r ,   M a y
bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu     		    I   S l e e p