Sinister: kids toda

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Fri Dec 4 22:53:53 GMT 1998

Actually there is a meta-movement going on in which I think the B&S crowd fits.  The movement is about the artists going direct to their fans, with little in the way like the record labels and megastores.  Smaller record companies are popping up like dandelions blowing the seeds of their refined tastes into the youth of today via the internet.  The technology helps significantly - standards like RealAudio and MP3 let the artists get their music out there themselves.  Not a social movement per se, but one in which all of us on the list are involved in my opinion.

The reason why the B&S fans (and like-minded fans of other indie groups) are important is because people are forming groups themselves, making it easier for the groups to target their fans.  This all helps to eliminate the middle-man.  It encourages the artists and lets the smaller but talented bands thrive in niche markets.

As for B&S lyrics and new attitude, every generation has different role models and modes of thinking.  In the 80's, there was plenty of similar music as well which molded outcast teens - think the Smiths.  I don't believe that movements are as easily indentified nowadays since there are many smaller groupings and it is difficult to label each one; look at music genres for example (rave, d&b, indie, math rock, post-rock, etc.).  In the past, there were less groups = easier stereotyping.  Now, a more heavily segmented society based on free agent tendencies (individuals' characteristics) leads to clusters of like people which float amidst many different clusters.  Movements are characterized by stronger numbers of people with generally a focused ideology.

Anyway, not enough language to explain what I mean exactly, and more than enough to bore the likes of most of you, so I'll stop the drivel and dundering.

chez pants <- sans un mot de francais