Sinister: Tweeness, Milleniumness, Bookness, Modern Rockness, etc.ness

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Sat Dec 5 05:59:23 GMT 1998

Hmmmm...
	It's odd that so many authors discussed on this list lately are ones
I've actually read! Previous book threads were too far removed from my
fanatical fantasy tastes. Yes to C.S. Lewis, yes to J.R.R. Tolkien, yes
to Susan Cooper, yes to Lloyd Alexander, yes to Ursula K. Leguin (though
I can't remember a stitch of A Wrinkle in Time for the life of me) and
especially yes to Frank Herbert. Right now, I'm reading his Children of
Dune, and I've been moved to take a quote from it, potentially to
replace my eloquent Mr. Friendly qutoe. And I quoth:

"You are a child seeking to be a man. When you are a man, you will seek
in vain for the child you were." - Paul Atreides.

	Whaddya think? Quoteworthy? Anyway, about C.S. Lewis, I have a friend
that I've known since elementary school. I began reading The Lion, the
Witch and the Wardrobe back then, and my friend took it upon himself to
read it as well. My friend then began to attempt to read through the
series faster than I did, and bragged about it every chance he got. I
tried to keep up, but oh this boy just must have done nothing but read!
I ended up quitting somewhere into A Horse and His Boy, and haven't
picked it back up since.
	I've quite taken to reading lately, though, having not done much of it
in the past 4 or 5 years, and having it once been such an integral part
of my life. I found a lovely kitty bookmark the other day, and at work
when there's nothing to do I just sit around with my nose in my book
(figuratively, of course) playing with my kitty bookmark in my off hand.
Okay, next topic...

The indiepop-list-loving, goodbye-message-despising Ben Kim writes:
> I can't remember who wrote it...Robert?  Someone found a lot of
> records in a store including the Pastels, House of Love and Felt...and > proceeded to call all of them 'twee.' If I may say so, I disagree with > that assessment.  I think that Felt are one of the most un-twee bands > *ever* to be embraced by the indiepopnoscenti

	Well, I think I learned the hard way that nit-picking about what is
this and what is that is just silly. Twee can mean to you something very
different from what it means to me. Felt at their jangliest sound a lot
like what I think of when I think twee. Of course, not all their songs
do sound like that, but neither do all of the Field Mice's. Thank
goodness for a little variety now and then. So lets not jump on a new
subscriber for thinking to call Felt twee.

and John Warrender writes:
> The lovely Anne from Glasgow sent me the URL for a top pop
> web site called "Ready Steady Go" which has lots of nice pieces
> about many wonderful bands including the truly magical
> "Sagittarius" and "Millennium". These were the brain childs of pop
> genius Curt Boettcher with the multi-talented Gary Usher lending
> a helping hand. If you haven't got any Sagittarius or Millennium
> records and you love "Pet Sounds" then I'd have a quick read of
> the Curt Boettcher article then swiftly make your way to CDNow
> who have reissues of "Present Tense" and "Begin", both of which
> are absolutely sumptuous and a snip at whatever price they're
> selling at. The site's well worth a visit and can be found at:

	Ah, I love the Millenium, and it's nice to hear someone mention them,
though I was surprised it was John, there. I must whole-heartedly agree,
the Millenium are wondrous and magical, though they harp a bit too much
on the "transcendant" bit sometimes. I put a song of theirs on my tape
tree tape, wherever it may be. I really need to check out Sagittarius,
but I should also check out Ballroom. A friend was telling me about them
after the 1st NYC B&S show. Apparently it's the band Curt Boettcher was
in before the Millenium, and some of the Millenium's songs were
originally performed by Ballroom. Supposedly some of their material was
released by Creation's re-issue arm, Rev-ola. Somehow I think I
misspelled that. Oh well.
	So, someone was saying they got the new EP in a shop today, how is it?
I'm dying to know...
	Eh, well I'd talk more, but I have to wake up at 6:45 for a 13-hour
work day with a whopping three 15-minute breaks. Oh hold me back...

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)