Sinister: with my nose in a book

jennifer jesandy at xxx.edu
Sat Dec 5 07:00:26 GMT 1998

hello dear friends!  i am a long-time lurker, most definitely, i do love you all but frankly you're all too witty and cute and i can't compete.  you all scare me, whoever said you were twee and harmless was batty.  (joke) (see, i told you i can't compete)  anyway, although i appear out of the figurative woodwork every once in a while to bother people with questions, tonight i am not doing that.  i wanted to say thank you to everyone for the c.s. lewis discussion, i too read the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe chronicles when i was wee and loved them immensely.  so lately i've been having a bit of personal upheaval and in my spare time (albeit very rare) i've been retreating into old, well-loved books.  i already re-read the hobbit and the trilogy (more praise for those, they are amazing!) b/c i own them, but my narnia books aren't here.  so tonight i was unmercifully stranded with not a thing to do on a friday night for goodness sake, and rather than sit in my room feeling sorry for myself (usual activity), i nipped over to the library and grabbed the first two books of the series.  i've just finished reading them and i am positively glowing, for the first time in a long time.  i love rediscovering a childhood memory, when you get all warm inside and if you try hard enough you can pretend that you are wee again, sitting in your room with a good book and no other cares in the world.  anyways the whole point of this message (anticlimax coming up right here) is to ask for any other literary suggestions from listees.  i know this gets discussed regularly and although the new search page is grand (thanks honey!) it scares me with its complexity and i wouldn't know quite what to search for... my christmas break is looking bleak and will probably consist of me, a pile of books, and my cat, so if anyone would be so kind as to recommend some books, please mail me privately, i don't want the entire list waggling its collective finger at me.  and if you've read this far, thank you and you deserve a hug.  i'll give you one, if ever i meet you.  goodnight everyone, pleasant dreams!

the jennifer, the teddy bear, and the computer