Sinister: Spreading the Gospel (aka, It's good to be the King of something)

Marty martysg at xxx.com
Sat Dec 5 18:55:19 GMT 1998

>  I do have three offspring, but when the eldest is 20 its hard to think of
>  them as children. More often than not, I think of them as my mates.

Well, finally someone on the list who can help me not feel so old!!!!!  I
have been married for 6 years, and we have 1 and 8/9ths kids.  My 20-month
old likes B&S, but she likes Barney, too.  Must be my wife's influence...

I remember when I was 18, I used to say, "Geez, in 2000, I will be 36.  Oh
man, that seems so old.  (And, as a stupid 18 year old, I didn't really
realize that I would actually be 35 at 1/1/00, and not 36 for another month.
BUT I don't want this to be an excuse for a flame war about the start date
of the millenium (2000 or 2001) -- everybody knows that the first century
had 99 years, and the rest of them one-upped by going to 100 years...so, to
me, 2000 is it.)

But, not to waste any more bandwidth on non-list-stuff.

The subtitle of this note is, "it's good to be the King of something",
especially when you can spread the gospel.

Not to go into too much detail, but I work in marketing for a very large
airline in the US.  One thing I do every month is I review and approve the
audio programming we play on our flights.  Well, since I've had this
responsibility, I've done a few subversive things to bring a little spice
into the programs, like trying to get an alternative channel set up, and
some other interesing stuff.  (Nov/Dec, we're looking at Landmark albums,
which include "London Calling", a favorite from my youth...)

But, just this week, I was reviewing the listing for January/February, and
saw the same old crap on the alternative channel...some MTV yahoos that I
don't like and don't listen to...so, one call to the vendor, and, zap, Dirty
Dream #2 is appearing in Jan/Feb!  (I would toss something from IYFS in, but
the album is too old to fit into the format...)

Hopefully, amidst that other pop dross, it will stand out and sell albums.

(Yes, David and Katrina, our vendor does make all appropriate payments!)

Marty