Sinister: youth movements and stuff

skg21 at xxx.uk skg21 at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 6 12:01:27 GMT 1998

Genevieve wrote:

> well,honestly..i don't think there is a big big movement with belle and
> sebastian type youth...well,maybe there is in little unknown ways...

I actually think there is a movement going on, which we are part of. It's
not about trying to change the world by smashing the system or anything,
it's about tolerance and generally being nice to people. In a way it's the
antithesis of the punk movement. Sure, the world isn't the best place on
earth, but by friendliness, humility and consideration we can make it
better. And the great thing about it is that you can see results
immediately - just by being kind to someone you can make them happier. It
is very different from previous 'youth' movements in that it is locally,
rather than globally, minded which is why it doesn't get as much attention,
but it's still going on. We are all part of it - 800 people and noone is
abusive on the list ever, which is quite impressive.

> heather:
>>This is what I consider to be so interesting about this movement, it's
>>niceness. Please, someone, explain this to me. Are the hugs, fuzzy
>>sweaters, comeraderie with one's parents all a symbol of a greater
>>cultural fear of the millenial unknown, or is this for real? I love the
>>music, but I'd like to solve the mystery of the seemingly docile youth
> who
>>follow it.
>
> i don't think they are really docile..i mean would not exactly call my
> relationship with my parents very comeraderie,my halo isn't exactly
> gleaming..i mean sure we share little stories on here,but there's a lot
> of darkness that people just aren't going to see...but again,maybe
> elsewhere these fuzzy sweater people are like that,i can only speak from
> what i do and see.

Well personally my family's going through a bad patch at the moment, which
is why I'm dreading spending most of the next 4 weeks with my parents. The
difference is that (like just about everyone in this hypothesised movement
I guess) I will still do so, and try my best to keep everyone getting on
with each other. Everyone gets annoyed at some things and some people -
what matters is what you do about it.

I would never describe myself as a hippy (although free love would go down
well at times ;-) ), but I respect what they tried to achieve far more than
the punks. I'm far too cynical to believe that we can all love everyone -
there will always be people you don't get on with - but you have to be able
to live with those people.

Apologies if I'm sounding like a moral preacher, that's not what I intend
at all; I'm just describing how I think most of us, and an increasing
number of people in general, live our lives. And I happen to think that
it's a good thing.

As for a musical movement, that's a different kettle of fish. The trend
over the last 5 years seems to have been a history of pop music. It started
with Britpop - basically a 60s revival - and has so far been through prog,
glam, 80s dance music, the current 80s crap pop revival (Stock Aitken and
Waterman all over again) amongst other things, in proportion with their
importance and durability at the time. Maybe B&S will slot into an acoustic
revival next year, who knows. There hasn't been a genuinely new sound to
any popular music since grunge (which wasn't far away from punk anyway).
Have people run out of ideas? Is pop music's 50-year reign as leisure
pursuit of choice for the young finally coming to an end?

Reading through the above, it all seems very mellow and reflective - just
the mood I'm in today I guess (partly because it's the end of term and I've
been saying goodbye to loads of people, including some old friends who've
been here this weekend that I haven't seen for ages and won't again for
ages; and partly because I'm a bit hungover). And you've probably all given
up and gone home by this point. I just wanted to set out my point of view,
in case anyone agrees or indeed cares.

Oh, and while I'm here, the list crush site. I've had a few emails
regarding its merits of otherwise, which will all be taken into
consideration. For now it's staying there, but I should warn you all that
since neither David nor I will be around over the next few weeks it won't
be maintained particularly; so if there's any names you want putting on the
list (or taking off it) do something about it now...

Big Stu

In my liver: far too much beer and wine