(Fwd) Re: Sinister: Bookness

WeeJay V0168JE2 at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 6 13:53:26 GMT 1998

Oops, I sent this to JJ by mistake.

From:           	Self <Single-user mode>
To:             	johnj at seahouses.u-net.com
Subject:        	Re: Sinister:  Bookness
Send reply to:  	V0168JE2 at solent.ac.uk
Date sent:      	Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:28:09 -0000

JJ wrote:

>  Mick McMick wrote:
> > Ursula K. Leguin (though
> >I can't remember a stitch of A Wrinkle in Time for the life of me) and
> >especially yes to Frank Herbert. Right now, I'm reading his Children of
> >Dune
> Doh!
> A Wrinkle In Time, 'Mick', was of course written by Madeline L'Engle
> although I may have spelt her name incorrectly..I haven't looked for a
> webpage about her yet because it's early in the morning, but that was
> ALSO a good book as was it's sequel..

	This hasn't anthing to do with that, but it's the closest
quote I can be bothered to find... Anyway, whoever said that Ursula
Leguin's adult fiction wasn't any good was wrong, wrong, wrong, as
wrong as can be! The Lathe of Heaven has to be one of the most
inspirational things I've ever read - It's about this man who when he
goes to sleep has strange dreams, then when he wakes up the
world has changed to fit in with his dreams, and only he knows that
it's ever been different. He goes to a psyciatrist who is sceptical at
first, but then realises it's true, and abuses it by hypnotising him to
make him dream of a world that embodies the psyciatrist's pretty
dodgy futurist ideas. I'm not saying any more as I don't want to
spoil it, but WOW! it's really reccomended.

	And I briefly said that my favorite CS book was 'The Horse
and His Boy' with no explanation. Well, here goes - I liked the
whole series, but it alweays struck me as a little unimaginative in a
way, in that it had all the usual animals you can see in that kind of
thing. But in THAHB insead of some children coming into it, yyou
have the whole thing set within that world and you get to see a
much more interesting bit of it.
	I used that quote from JJ cos he also said:

> The Dune series, however, what a load of pretentious wank. I could be
> wrong about those, after all they are dreadfully popular. I bought 4 of
> them before I realised that it wasn't me, it was the books that were crap.

	I have tried in vain several times to read 'Dune' but it really
escapes me. It's like some civil service document in that you get
the impression that the author wants you to only understand half of
what he's saying. To read it, it seems, you need to understand his
fictional universe in the first place, and to do that of course, you
need to read the books. I don't know, I'll get back to Zola instead.

> Have a lovely weekend, it's time for BACON sarnies now...

	Sarnies!?! They're butties and you know it. Pah, home
counties boys! I'd send Brad around to whip your pasty hide if it
wasn't for the fact that I'd have to actually meet him and therefore
fall under his bad influence again. And yes, that's my staple diet at
uni too, as opposed to home where I'm nearly a vegetarian.

This must be my first re: message. Yeay!

	Choccaboy checking out,
			WeeJay xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James at twopounds.u-net.com
"I know there's a lot of bass players in the audience tonight,
I know living amongst the constructions that the people in power
have built doesn't feel so right"
                  mAKE UP - "We Can't Be Contained"
http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/cabaret/5523/
(Which will no longer crash your computer. Hopefully.)