Sinister: beat patrol, thoughts on evolution of consciousness

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Mon Dec 7 07:33:06 GMT 1998

At 11:54 PM 12/6/98 -0800, Lesley J. Miller wrote:
>i think we are a nice pseudo-movement.  i dont know isn't that a bit of an
>indie 'trend' that of connecting more directly to the fans, grass roots so
>to speak?  but that's a lot of DIY too from punk.  punk was necessary to
>break out at that time, but punk is outdated now, the ethic has been
>interpolated into day-to-day so the extreme is obsolete.   isn't it,
>really....
>
>niceness is a kind of revolt now, away from the me me 80's.

i'm not convinced b&s is all about niceness rather than communication.
the basis for a lot of their lyrics is twisted social relations, not
patting each other on the back and saying "cheers".  the fans that
surround the music are more likely drawn together by the lyrical
wit, catchy melodies, and self-effacing mannerisms mixed with an honesty
about all the things we know aren't wonderful and take in stride anyway.

is there is a certain sort of solitude that's odd that we share?  the
one thing i find most interesting about this list is that so many posts
go unanswered and yet we cling to the submissions.  it's the conflict
between needing personal relationships and needing distance to prolong a
tension of being solo that maybe is a part of everyone's character.
i think this bi-polarity of attraction/repulsion is mirrored in what
the internet is all about - connecting and disconnecting, not always
sync at the same time, but circling each other with interest, fear,
and hope.

anyway, i find even talking about this is like viewing the cornfield
as a crow in the sky and knowing the husks are full, the scarecrows
are unpredictably placed, and i'm hungry.

does anyone correspond by handwritten letters anymore?
maybe someone should gather up an assortment of all the "real"
addresses of people on the list, randomly distribute them and
have each list member write someone else without ever expecting
any responses.  maybe one letter every two months.  short or long,
but with the same sort of content as people are pouring out on this list.

senor droolcup <- penless in seattle