Sinister: music and autism

Michaela Clarke +44 (131) 343 5810 michaela.clarke at xxx.com
Mon Dec 7 14:52:55 GMT 1998

I've been away and have just scanned quickly through 10 digests and noticed
that there was a theme about music and autistic children so I thought I'd add
my amusing little anecdote

my boyfriend works with autistic children and last summer he spent a few days
looking after this little boy. My boyfriend found that although the little boy
did not say much he seamed to be singing to himself all the time although it
was too quiet to hear what he was singing. My boyfriend felt this might be a
way of getting through to him and so stated singing nursery rhymes to him.
After putting up with this for nearly the whole day the little boy finally had
enough and turned to my boyfriend saying
" do you know this one ' Rebel rebel your face is a mess...' ?"
it turned out the young lad was a huge Bowie Fan and he and my Boyfriend spent
a week singing Bowie songs to each other.

cute eh?

it just goes to show......

now dilemma

do you play cool music to your kids and make them cool
or do you play crap music to them so that they rebel and listen to cool stuff?

K'la