Sinister: Talk about... pop music

Heather Marie Propes asbuch at xxx.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:44:40 GMT 1998

This will indeed disentegrate into a semantic arguement, with your
permission or course, Martin. In my experience D.J-ing  for college radio
(UCLA for two years, University of Chicago radio for one), musical genres
were broken up in a very quantitative, dry way - Kraut-rock, glam rock,
punk, and pop, wham bam thank you ma'am. Each could be appreciated as a
movement", a seperate sphere with its own little set of followers, each
its own seperate foreground in a historical vacuum.

I think I know what you are getting at with your account of historical
"pop" as the music of the past that was light, fun, and taken for granted
as fluff, and I can appreciate your recognition of this genre in it's
many forms and diguises throughout the decades. I agree that it has a
genealogy that encompasses the Beach Boys, Turtles, Alex Chilton, Roxy
Music, the Shangi_Las, and Heaven 17. I also agree that "pop" by any other
name (New Wave, Girl Groups, surfer music) was always pop. Yet, I also
believe that the pop of today is more crystallized. It is indeed a
movement, a marketing campaign, with all the accoutrements (cardigan
sweaters, trips to England and small recording labels) of such a
subculture. Bands may have been recording catchy 4 minute songs about love
and boredom for the past four decades, Martin, but you don't really HAVE
to know that to be a part of todays "pop" scene.

Ciao,

http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/asbuch/index.htm#hometop

Heather Marie Propes   asbuch at midway.uchicago.edu