Sinister: What is Twee? What is TEE?(JAMMERS)

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Mon Dec 7 17:26:29 GMT 1998

Hullo,
	Firstly I must say that I almost posted last night about all this
philosophical counterculture stuff, but I counted to 4 or 5 as I was
about to begin writing and I decided "Nah...."
	Having said that, to the fellow who suggested we be nice to one another
in an attempt to be the opposite of punk, I must point out that quite a
lot of good things came out of punk. Someone already mentioned DIY,
without which I would wonder if labels like Jeepster would even exist.
Plus there's loads of great music, not to mention loads I don't care
for.... but I digress.
	The Boy Done Wrong Again from Indiana U. (I wonder if you know my
friend Danny, he used to be the md for a radio station there...) asked
us all what does "twee" mean. I don't think anyone answered him, but I
didn't read each message word for word, letter for letter. Twee was a
word used by the British music press initially to describe Talulah Gosh.
It was (and is) a bastardization of the word sweet (imagine sweet said
by a 3-year-old) and was used to describe Talulah Gosh's overly cute and
yes, overly precious sentiments, oft-recalling childhood. The term seems
to have then been used to describe a lot of bands similar to T. Gosh, if
not just in spirit. Now it seems to pretty much describe either a) music
that is (too) cute, or b) a lot of music that was made in the 80's.
Anyway, all that historical stuff was not first-hand, so I'm more than
likely wrong on a couple points. *Awaits corrections with a cringe*
	Okay, and this business with TIJAMRS...that's very very silly. I don't
know why people make up lengthy acronyms for such things that take 5
minutes to work out until you realize what they finally are referring
to. People have been calling it the Modern Rock Song EP for quite a long
time, and I don't think there is anything too lengthy about this. It
gives me less of a headache, anyway. It's not as if there were multiple
B&S EPs with "Modern Rock Song" in the title, like "That Over There Is a
Modern Rock Song," "Watch out for the Modern Rock Song," "Modern Rock
Song Gonna Getcha," and "Cold As Ice." Or, you could follow Mister
Kitchen's creative example and go with TEEJAMMERS (a la TWATTYBUS). If
you're going to use some weird-ass acronym, at least be creative and
nonsensical! =P  Strangely enough, I think David read my mind, except he
got the 2nd E in place where I had an A.

In my Sha-La-La inbox: A thread on the TVPs

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)