Sinister: Hefnerlump Rock Report

Sandra Duric SANDRAD at xxx.com
Mon Dec 7 14:44:53 GMT 1998

From:	PJMiller [SMTP:pjmiller at xxx.es]

As for the other groups, Cuba were absolute total and utter guff, a
kind of Jesus Jones for the 21st Century, only without the charm,
subtelty and nuance that so typified that groundbreaking fusion of
rock and dance sensibilities. Quite frankly, Cuba are a disgrace to
their name, totally unlike the fantastic tropical island where people
sniff their armpits and have a wank at the same time.

Sorry, but this little comment made me laugh a good minute.  I agree, but I've never been able to say anything about it because fellow Canadian Chris in Cuba I know, and the unspoken rule of friends being friends, you don't slam each other's music (do you realize if friends were a bit more ... honest, there'd be less shite bands?).  And the Cuba story is typical who-knows-who - Chris is married to Mojave Rachel and he and a friend were just fooling with their keyboards at home when someone from the label popped by to see her, only to be into the entire Cuba thing, enough to sign them.  And so the story goes...

Saw Gus Van Sant's Pyscho this weekend.  Erm, thumbs up to the original.  Disappointing, very disappointing...

Back to work and watching snow clouds build a grey-white mountain on the horizon...

Alexandra

PS - Second batch of Black Sessions tapes going out today....