Sinister: Twee versus Rock (Part 246)

Kevan Cooke fatslug at xxx.com
Tue Dec 8 16:23:53 GMT 1998

Was that really Rod Begbie?  Good to hear from him again, although I can't
really understand this list crush business, seeing as how he looks like
that Dr Fox bloke off the radio, but in a Helen Love t-shirt.

Talking of list crushes I have to say that if there is one thing worse
than getting no votes, it's being on the suggested list and still getting
no votes.  At least Mark Casarotto is saving up his alternate sexuality
vote for me if he ever has a significant change of lifestyle.

Thanks to everyone for their constructive comments regarding the Pop
Subutteo debacle.  Unfortunately the ban imposed by the governing body
remains in place for next week, but this is more than made up for by
the prospect of meeting a horde of New York listees on the 12th.

Have you seen the bit in Select this month where they summarise pop music
through the last ten years as a series of musical genres?  Have you spotted
the following entry right at the end?

>TweeRock (Late 1990s)
>
>TweeRock is the antithesis of the pub rock revivalist movement spawned
>by Oasis in the mid-nineties, taking as it's influences the melodic pop
>of the sixties, the gentle folk-pop of the seventies, and the DIY indie
>ethic of the eighties.
>
>It is the popularity of the TweeRock movement that is credited with the
>wholesale introduction of cardigans and biscuit nibbling to a number of
>high profile fashion shows in 1998.  The memorable advertising campaigns
>"Bacardi, the drink for gentle sensitive people" and "Levis, for softly
>spoken boys in corduroys" also sprang up at around the same time.
>
>The band most closely linked with TweeRock are Belle and Sebastian,
>although they repeatedly deny being part of any such movement.  In a
>rare interview with Select bassist Stuart David went as far as to say:
>"TweeRock?  This is just pish pigeon-holing used as a substitute for
>intelligent journalism, I'm off."

Kevan
The Fat as Doestoevsky Slug