Sinister: Lucid, me? Never!

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Tue Dec 8 14:23:01 GMT 1998

I'm going to take advantage of the relative (and blissful) quiet on the list
at present to make pointless banter and offend the accountants among you.

I just thought you might be interested to hear that at my office, we're
being afflicted by the same problems as the list has been recently. For our
Xmas party, it appears we are doing the "secret Santa" thing of picking
names out of a hat full of all the employees and then buying them a five
pound gift. Yay. But at the same time, my floor are doing a similar thing
for our Xmas lunch. So now there is a bad-tempered email war going on, with
misunderstandings, repeated statings of the screamingly obvious, obsolete
messages invoking ire, and us on the top floor are coming across as
isolationist snobs (though let's face it, mixing with Accounts would be a
bit naff, so maybe they're right :)). So much for the season of goodwill...

Anyway, what it made me think is how much tolerance and sensitivity I've
come across (some may beg to differ :)) being on Sinister. Perhaps something
similar should be obligatory in any type of community. I also want to second
Lesley Jo (I think)'s argument that the concept of twee is not one with
entirely negative connotations, at least among people who are honest enough
to accept that tweeness, whatever it means, is part of their make up. And
while I'm on Lesley Jo, anyone who hasn't had a giggle at her Mystery Bus is
missing out big time ...:D

*still chortling*

*catching my breath*

So there you go. I managed to get the TIJUANABRASS session version yesterday
at the same time as the EP, coincidentally enough, and the only thing
missing on the record that I can tell is Stuart's evident joie de vivre -
must have been a wee bit tipsy, I reckon. Anyway, it's still a lovely song,
with the best chord progression in the world. I'm glad they've gone back to
the drone rock school for this one - I always find myself heading in that
direction when I play music, even though in any other circumstances "rock"
is pretty much a dirty word. I'm always going to love the three spacemen, as
well as the VU's more self-indulgent moments, and the only record in the
world which approaches Tigermilky and Sinister is Peng! by Stereolab...

Mustn't get self-indulgent - must do work....

Good doggy,
Mark xxxx