Sinister: Ramblin' on my mind...

Frank Yang fyang at xxx.ca
Wed Dec 9 14:11:03 GMT 1998

Hullo list

Just throwing in my two cents on a variety of topics (which should end up costing me
around $0.12, but what can you do).

Anxiously awaiting the new EP... drive faster, Canada Post!  Of course, I'll be
tripping over it in every music store I go into now, and will be tortured by the fact
that I shouldn't buy it since I've ordered a copy...  Actually, I'm keener on getting
my Sinister t-shirt...

Do you have to create music to be a musician?  I'm a pretty decent guitarist (also
really bad drums/keys) with no creative outlets at the moment (read: no band), so I
end up spending most of my time making weird skronky noises with my guitars.  I do
plan on getting a drum machine soon, though, which I'm hoping will help squeeze my
creative juices...  Sadly, I'm right-handed, but I'm also right-brained, which should
count for something.  Music I'd like to create would be a weird mix of B&S folk-pop,
alt.country, classic Beatle-pop and Brit-indie-shoegazer drone.  I think that'd sound
pretty cool, but finding like-minded individuals has been kinda tough.

Brushes with pop stardom?  Well, this may not mean much to anyone without a Canadian
passport, but I once ran into Hayden in a music store and he was buying a guitar amp
that I sorta wanted.  It's probably for the best, 'cause a) he had the money for it,
and b) I think he'd do more with it than make skronky guitar noises.  I've also ran
into the Watchmen (Canucks again) at an East Side Marios and walked past Heather Nova
(mmm...) in downtown Toronto.  This was only a couple of blocks from where she was
playing that night, so I don't know if that really counts as a surprise run-in.

Boy With The Sex Device was chosen as second best album of the year by the arts
editor of my unversity newspaper, but I think he was just trying to be as cool as
me... :)

Pop as a movement?  I'm very suspicious of any band that tries to identify themselves
with a media-created scene... I can't remember who it was, but I remember one
American cock-rock band saying, "yeah, we're a grunge band..."  Alarm, alarm!   I
like music that makes me happy, and most of it tends to be hyphenated pop.  Y'know
<Fill in descriptive>-pop.  I prefer to think of the descriptive as just that - a
description, not a manifesto or a movement or nothin'.  Jus' good tunes, man.

Anyways, I think that's enough rambling for now.  Cheers.

--
Frank Yang
"If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're

In my CD player:  Dubstar - Goodbye