Sinister: musical suggestion (related)

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Wed Dec 9 17:21:05 GMT 1998

Anyone care for "Grapes of Wrath" from Canada in the mid 80's?
A little more folksy than the Housemartins, but similarities exist.
Maybe it's a little bit of the harmonizations, not the song speeds.
I'd recommend "Treehouse", I guess.  Quite poppy in a small town
kinda way... somehow I associate them with Prefab Sprout in my mind,
even if they don't sound alike.  Must be the time period.

Two other Canadian bands I found interesting from similar times:
1. Martha and the Muffins (M&M) - very indie, wonderful! (1982-1987)
   Daniel Lanois producing effort.  "Danseparc" 1982, v.innovative.
2. Propaganda - "Secret Wish".  A bit of 80's electronic with fairly
   catchy melodies.  (1982?)

The most amazing of the bunch is Martha and the Muffins.  They did
quite a few albums and were long before their time in indieland.
Funny how timing is important is making it in music.  "Danseparc" has
some similarities in rhythm to "Rock Lobster" of B52s fame, but
obviously the band didn't fare as well.

pants+/- [vulnerably noting 1980's bands]