Sinister: musical suggestion (related)

Frank Yang fyang at xxx.ca
Wed Dec 9 18:19:50 GMT 1998

I don't think this got sent out, so I'm trying again.  Apologies if it was only me
who
didn't get a copy sent to me...

Chris Butler wrote:

> Anyone care for "Grapes of Wrath" from Canada in the mid 80's?
> A little more folksy than the Housemartins, but similarities exist.
> Maybe it's a little bit of the harmonizations, not the song speeds.
> I'd recommend "Treehouse", I guess.  Quite poppy in a small town
> kinda way... somehow I associate them with Prefab Sprout in my mind,
> even if they don't sound alike.  Must be the time period.

Egads!  Definitely not one of the bands from my past I'd ever expected to pop up
here, of all places.  Don't know if I'd equate the Grapes with the Housemartins, as
Kevin Kane & co. were some of the most humourless, earnest folks to come out of
Canada in years, IMO.  None of the Housemartins' trademark wit.  Musically, maybe
there are some comparisons to be drawn, though the GOW were distinctly Beatle/Rubber
Soul-ish.  Had a fair bit of success in Canada before breaking up in 92 or 93.  Kevin
Kane went on to solo projects, and since he had the legal rights to the band name,
the rest of the band became Ginger (terrible name...).  The Grapes have now reformed,
BTW, and are performing under the original name.  Played a couple shows in Toronto
this past weekend - don't know how they went over...

BTW - the Grapes Of Wrath were my first concert ever.  Inicidentally, that night was
the first time I'd gotten stomped on by a girl (figuratively speaking...).  Hmm -
wonder if that's why I'm not so fond of the Grapes?  Ah, memories of my youth...

> Two other Canadian bands I found interesting from similar times:
> 1. Martha and the Muffins (M&M) - very indie, wonderful! (1982-1987)
>    Daniel Lanois producing effort.  "Danseparc" 1982, v.innovative.
> 2. Propaganda - "Secret Wish".  A bit of 80's electronic with fairly
>    catchy melodies.  (1982?)
>
> The most amazing of the bunch is Martha and the Muffins.  They did
> quite a few albums and were long before their time in indieland.
> Funny how timing is important is making it in music.  "Danseparc" has
> some similarities in rhythm to "Rock Lobster" of B52s fame, but
> obviously the band didn't fare as well.

Martha & The Muffins?  I must admit, all I really knew of them was that Echo Beach
song, which annoyed the piss out of me when I was little.  Of course, back then if
you weren't Honeymoon Suite or Platinum Blonde, you were automatically shite...

I was young and impressionable, and their hair was oh-so big.  How could I resist?

--
Frank Yang
"It's 'cause they're stupid, that's why.  That's why everybody does everything."

In my CD player:   Spiritualized - Live At The Royal Albert Hall