Sinister: musical suggestion

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Thu Dec 10 01:50:11 GMT 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 Chi.M.Lee at usdoj.gov wrote:
I wrote:
> >First, if you haven't already, run out and buy a Prefab Sprout record.
> >_Steve McQueen_ is a bit moody, while _Jordan: The Comeback_ is brighter
> >in mood and is almost like a series of intertwining concept-EPs.

> I'd also suggest the Sprouts' Protest Songs, which was only released in
> the UK on Kitchenware records.  It's not as good as the previously
> mentioned records but has several great pop songs, one of which is Life
> of Surprises.

As long as we're at it, I may as well take the chance to provide a bit
more information and context.  Prefab Sprout put out a 4-song EP, then an
album called _Swoon_ (around '83, no overlap between then, and the EP is
long-gone).  The recordings are a bit rough, but fans of wordy/literary
pop (B&S anyone?) should find plenty to enjoy and even to inspire them.

Thomas Dolby expressed his enthusiasm for what the Sprouts were doing, and
ended up producing the follow-up LP, _Steve McQueen_ (aka _Two Wheels
Good_).  The music is simpler in certain ways, but more richly textured
and with excellent sound (relatively uncompressed too).

They originally intended to issue _Protest Songs_ in '85, a few months
after _Steve McQueen_, but CBS decided it would be a bad idea.  It was
finally issued in 1989.  The raw material of _Protest Songs_ may be almost
as good as _Steve McQueen_, but as I understand it, these were some songs
that would not permit themselves to be re-recorded.  So the album is
recordings produced quickly by the band as 24-track "demos".

_From Langley Park to Memphis_ is quite a mixed effort -- numerous
producers, too many guests, and just plain too bland a setting for the
sensitive-poet lyrics.  Still contains some ace songs.

Next album was _Jordan: The Comeback_, on which Thomas Dolby returned as
producer.  1990.  Brilliant!

The story has been a little sad since.  They put out 2 singles with their
best-of, produced by Stephen Lipson (!).  Then it seems like Paddy
McAloon, the head Sprout, wasted a few years.  He might well have been
writing the best material of his life, except that he seemingly
2nd-guessed himself into a situation in which he had to cough up something
that would primarily please Sony's lawyers and accountants.  _Earth: the
Story So Far_ was scrapped, at least for now.  Meanwhile, as a full 7
years had passed since the previous LP, the drummer must have taken
another job, and Paddy and machines could not take his place.  Wendy,
their backup singer, is nearly absent.  Supposedly Thomas Dolby didn't
want to get involved (he was reportedly enthusiastic about _Earth: the
Story So Far_ though).  _Andromeda Heights_ is all very pleasant, and not
at all a bad album, but it is seriously flawed and somewhat lacking in
personality. If the pattern holds, maybe _Earth:  the Story So Far_ will
be made and will be brilliant.

> Also, the US release of Steve McQueen was re-titled Two Wheels Good (I
> have no idea why?),

For some incomprehensible reason, the estate of Steve McQueen objected to
using his name to title this beautiful album.

--Mark

__ Burning Rome : SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14
   < http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome > < MP3 & RealAudio tracks >